Daniel808

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
198059.jpg

Japan Data

Japan’s Population Falls for Ninth Straight Year
Economy Society Lifestyle Apr 30, 2020

As the number of people living in Japan continues to fall, it must urgently address the issue of how to support an increasing elderly population with a shrinking workforce.

Japan’s population as of October 1, 2019, was 126,167,000, according to an estimate by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications; a decrease of 276,000, or 0.22%, compared to the previous year. This is the ninth consecutive annual decline and the largest margin of decrease on record.

Among those living in Japan, 123,731,000 were Japanese citizens, a year-on-year decrease of 487,000, or 0.39%. Meanwhile, the number of foreign residents in Japan rose for the seventh consecutive year, with 208,000 more new foreigners coming into the country than those leaving. In total, foreign residents made up 1.93% of the overall population.

In 2019, there were 75.1 million people between the ages of 15 and 64 in what is defined as the working-age population, a year-on-year decrease of 379,000 people. This age bracket accounted for 59.5% of the population, the lowest percentage on record since 1950, when statistics were first kept. The number of those 65 and older rose year on year by 307,000, for a total of 35.9 million, accounting for a record high 28.4% of the total population. Those 75 or older increased year on year by 515,000, for a total of 18.5 million, thus accounting for more than half of the entire population 65 or older.

The statistics reveal a social structure in Japan that is becoming increasingly reliant on foreign workers as the country’s own workforce contracts due to a low birth rate and aging population.

(Translated from Japanese. Banner photo © Pakutaso.)

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h00705/

Every year Japanese citizen decreasing 487,000 people.
That's mean they lost almost 1,400 citizens per day :coffee: They are in big trouble right now

Not good at all. They refuse to do something major about it and just give token holidays and some tax breaks. They need an overhaul of their working culture, which has skewed social dynamics. Relationships between young women and men are now rare which is insane.
I hope they pull through.

I hope they continue down this path.
I don't understand people's obsession with forever increasing population, do people forget that this planet is not really growing, and the more humans we cram in to the less space there is for everything else, be that animals or plants.
I hope more countries do what Japan is doing.
Otherwise the future of this planet will be bleak.

Introduce a bounty for babies born in hospital, say 20,000 usd per baby. It would give younger couples a good starting point and ease fear of financial burden.

They should stop dating mobile phone apps and things wl change

Not good at all. They refuse to do something major about it and just give token holidays and some tax breaks. They need an overhaul of their working culture, which has skewed social dynamics. Relationships between young women and men are now rare which is insane.
I hope they pull through.

Not only working culture, but also their social value about marriage in their young population mindset.

This is a very good read about that.

'Parasite singles': Why young Japanese aren't getting married
n-marriage-a-20191210-870x561.jpg

A mother (left) and her daughter check a list of participants during a matchmaking party in Tokyo on Nov. 3. | AFP-JIJI
BY KYOKO HASEGAWA

AFP-JIJI

ARTICLE HISTORY

A sharply dressed crowd of singles shuffle awkwardly around conference-room tables, exchanging small talk and CVs in an attempt to find a marriage partner — all of them accompanied by their parents.

One 38-year-old woman, who declined to give her name, said she “didn’t have the courage” to find a spouse and move away from her mother, who had come with her to the matchmaking party.

“I didn’t have many good opportunities to meet someone,” she explained, adding: “My workplace has lots of women but not many men.”

Roughly a quarter of Japanese between 20 and 49 are single, according to government data.

And while people of this age routinely express a wish to get married, outdated social attitudes and increasing economic pressure is making tying the knot more and more difficult, experts say.

Sociology professor Masahiro Yamada from Tokyo’s Chuo University said that the norm of single people living with their parents until marriage means there is less immediate pressure to find a partner.

“They think it’s a waste of time to have a relationship with someone who does not meet their conditions” and can afford to wait for a better catch, he said, dubbing these people “parasite singles.”

Although long-term financial security with a husband or wife is seen as important, the difficulty of finding affordable housing adds to the incentive to stay with mom and dad, he said.

One 74-year-old man at the party, on the hunt for a suitable bride for his 46-year-old son, pointed to another problem: overcoming shyness.

“My son is a salesman. He’s good at dealing with customers but he is very hesitant when it comes to women,” said the father.

Why was his son not looking for himself? He was too busy with work.

The father said his eldest daughter was married but his youngest, a doctor living in the U.S., is single at the age of 34.

He said he is worried for her, “as I’ve heard it is hard for female doctors to find partners.”

Shigeki Matsuda, a sociology professor at Chukyo University in Aichi Prefecture, blames the country’s falling marriage rate on a phenomenon known as hypergamy.

“Japanese women tend to seek men with stable employment and education levels” higher than them, he explained.

Anecdotal evidence from the matchmaking party seemed to bear this out, a small queue of women forming to exchange contact details with one of the men who, it emerged, had the highest income of the group.

“The high ratio of unmarried men and women won’t change unless more women accept the idea of marrying a man with an income lower than herself,” Yamada said.

Shoji Wakisaka, the head of an association that hosts match-making parties, speaks during an interview on the sidelines of a party in Tokyo on Nov. 3. | AFP-JIJI
In addition, many people meet future spouses in the office in workaholic Japan, and there are fewer opportunities as jobs become more precarious.

In the decades after World War II, Japan rebuilt its economy largely via huge corporations offering ultradedicated workers a job for life — but that pattern is changing rapidly and job security is declining.

Since the early 1990s, the ratio of nonpermanent and contract employees has risen from around 15 percent to just below 40 percent, according to labor ministry statistics.

“Lower levels of income and an increase in the number of extremely unstable jobs — with the fear of getting sacked at any time — are not helping people to think about getting married and having a family,” said Shuchiro Sekine, head of a trade union representing contract workers.

Even if these workers hope to find a partner, with less job security and lower income comes less chance of finding a spouse.

Six out of 10 salarymen between age 30 to 34 were married as of 2017, according to a government study issued this year, compared to only 22 percent of male contract workers in the same demographic.

Those at the Tokyo matchmaking party are the lucky ones, Sekine said. “Those on lower incomes wouldn’t even think about attending.”

Despite these barriers, do such events help? Shoji Wakisaka, head of the association hosting the party, said there was no firm data but there had been some successes — if limited.

“About 2 percent of participants on average find a spouse.”

One single woman at the party said it was an “efficient” place to meet others who want to get married.

“You can’t exactly ask passersby if they are married,” her mother added.

A marriage counselor at the party, Noriko Miyagoshi, implored would-be lovebirds to forget the finances and focus on Cupid’s arrow.

“You shouldn’t be making a lot of conditions,” she told participants. “I hope you choose the one you genuinely feel you’ll be able to get along with.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-japanese-arent-getting-married/#.XtDkXPkxWdM

This is the main issue with liberal irreligious societies all over the world. No incentive to think past your own comfort. Japan is only the canary, demographic decline will impact other parts of Asia, Europe, Russia....even the USA and Latin America. Most of the future population growth will be in ME and Africa.

Japan
Land Area - 378K sq.Km
Population - 126 million (93% Urban)

Pakistan
Land Area - 882K sq.Km
Population - 220 millions (39% Urban)

Japan is 43% the land area of Pakistan with 57% population.

If anything, there decreasing population is good.

They should be at around 50 million and We should be at around 100 million.

This isn't population control, this is self destruction. The Japanese have gotten themselves to a state where they are over worked and socially isolated.

Introduce a bounty for babies born in hospital, say 20,000 usd per baby. It would give younger couples a good starting point and ease fear of financial burden.

20,000 usd is nothing compared with cost to raising a baby in Japan, especially their big cities.

They should stop dating mobile phone apps and things wl change

If I become their leader, I will banned all their brothels, sex business, and **** industry.

With all that, I believe marriage percentage in Japan will rise :D

If I was Japanese I would say goodbye to any pension.

Japan's child population falls for 39th straight year

np_file_10335-870x579.jpeg

The number of children age 14 or younger stood at 15.12 million on April 1, the lowest figure since1950, according to government data. | KYODO

KYODO

The estimated child population in Japan has dropped for the 39th consecutive year to reach a record low despite efforts to tackle the long-standing decline in the birthrate, according to the latest government data.

The number of children age 14 or younger stood at 15.12 million as of April 1, down 200,000 from a year earlier and the lowest figure since officials began compiling comparable data in 1950, the Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry said Monday.

The ratio of children to the overall population fell for the 46th straight year to a new low of 12.0 percent, below South Korea's 12.4 percent and the lowest among 32 countries with a population of 40 million or more, according to the U.N. Demographic Yearbook.

By contrast, people age 65 and over account for 28.6 percent of Japan's population, reflecting the graying of society.

The child population peaked at 29.89 million in 1954. The number briefly picked up in the early 1970s but has continued to fall since 1982.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has pledged to tackle the nation's declining and aging population by promoting women's empowerment in society and increasing the number of day care facilities, but his efforts have yet to bear fruit.

The government has set a goal of lifting the total fertility rate — the average number of children born to a woman — to 1.8 by the end of fiscal 2025, from 1.42 in 2018.

Those age between 12 and 14 comprised the largest group of children at 3.21 million, while newborns to 2-year-olds totaled 2.75 million. By gender, there were 7.74 million boys and 7.38 million girls, the ministry said.

Among the 47 prefectures, Tokyo was the only one that saw an increase in the number of children, with 1.55 million, more than 20 times that of Tottori, the prefecture with the lowest total. Tottori announced last Oct. 1 it had a child population of 70,000.

Okinawa had the highest ratio of children in its overall population at 16.9 percent, while Akita logged the lowest at 9.8 percent, the first time any prefecture has dropped below 10 percent since comparable data became available in 1970.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...lation-falls-39th-straight-year/#.XtDkXfkxWdN

I think the government should pay for surrogacy. With 200 000 USD for a child, all problems will be solved

They should bring in more Indians to help them with their depopulation problem.

Back
Top Bottom