What's new

STM-500 for the Pakistan navy

Its still open waters. Not narrow. like the stuff its designed for.
Better to base it on an enlarged X Class.
Conceptually, this STM 500 is like an enlarged X-Class, if not more. Basically, the STM 500 is supposed to take everything you'd get in a full-sized SSP (like the Agosta 90B), but pack it in a smaller design. The only thing I can see the PN changing about the STM 500 is enlarging it a bit more into a 700-ton design.

Conceptually, this STM 500 is like an enlarged X-Class, if not more. Basically, the STM 500 is supposed to take everything you'd get in a full-sized SSP (like the Agosta 90B), but pack it in a smaller design. The only thing I can see the PN changing about the STM 500 is enlarging it a bit more into a 700-ton design.
Agreed 700 to 800 tone according to our requirement plus few more meters in depth. I mean should be able to go slightly more then 250 meters.

They won't be redesigning the ship until they are fully assured that Pakistan is the customer.
Strangely, unlike India (outfoxing the clever French with the carrots of 128 Rafaels etc.), Pak never falters on her defense deals from her own side.....

Pak should move the production to Karachi under TOT so that she can redesign and reproduce at her own will....

what kind requirements did the PN asked?

Agreed 700 to 800 tone according to our requirement plus few more meters in depth. I mean should be able to go slightly more then 250 meters.
Average depth Agenan Sea 200 meters. Average depth Arabian sea 3000m.

Average depth Agenan Sea 200 meters. Average depth Arabian sea 3000m.
You seriously have no clue about submarine warfare don't you. Dude even the best nuclear submarine can't go more deeper then 700 meters. First study about Submarines and submarine warfare and how deep they can go.

You seriously have no clue about submarine warfare don't you. Dude even the best nuclear submarine can't go more deeper then 700 meters. First study about Submarines and submarine warfare and how deep they can go.
**Sighs**. Tell me, do you enjoy been a rude dick? Also you @dBSPL
The problem with narrow shallow waters v deep ocean isn't that the submarine can dive to near the bottom they can't.
But:
Sound transmission in shallow water is highly unpredictable because of the seabed's proximity, great variations in sea temperature and salinity, fresh-water influx from rivers, and the effect of tides, currents, ice, wind, and waves. Natural and human-made ambient noise adversely affect the work of both passive and active sonars.

Conversely operating in deep ocean waters has its own challenges which are different. A submarine operating in shallow water at a certain noise level and depth may well be undetectable. The same noise level and depth in deep ocean water might as well shout "here I am".
A submarine designed to operate in narrow waters can afford to an extent to ignore its own noise. But one operating in deeper, oceanic waters need to be very careful. For instance anything above 6-7 knots creates cavitation noises. In narrow waters thats not so much of an issue, it gets lost in the background and bounces off the seabed. In deep, oceanic water it can be heard for hundreds of miles.

Remember this is the disclosed depth, not the actual depth these subs can dive. Actual depth is always highly classified. Technology exists and commercial drone subs do actually dive much much deeper than 1000m all the time.

you are going to use it against India, wtf are you going to in the arabian sea? You will attack India close to the shore.
Maps are rather useful.

Maps are rather useful.

i am repeating my self, the coast is not depth like that. You are not going 1000 km from the coast and attacking each others.

lol

1663096865731.png

There are also military systems that can dive 2000 meters and deeper, not just civilian research ships. (Some robotic underwater vehicles, of which Turkiye is among the few producers in the world too) But if we talking about attack submarines, the operational depths of submarines are in the range of 50-300 meters. Of course many subs can go deeper (more than 350 meters) in emergency situations. However, below a certain depth there are some technical difficulties that affect the full operational condition of the ship. Submarine tactical communications and command control are a completely different matter too.

Also, the Aegean sea is one of the most complex topographies in the world and is not a shallow sea as described here. Especially in the North Aegean, there are floor areas reaching -4000 meters in places.

The biggest challenge that complicates the submarine warfare in the Aegean is the echo (and radio wave above water) walls formed by the existence of thousands of islands. Silencing and detectability are vital in this sea. That's why both Turkiye and Greece are among the world's most qualified conventional submarine fleets. Of course, Greece has some crucial problems, like using 40-year-old torpedoes on AIP submarines, but I think they are about to get over that problem.

Therefore, there are larger durable hull diameters and heavier ships. It is not a very realistic approach, that both aims to produce a submarine that is small and fast in production, and that will support special operations and even have a certain firepower while also targeting below the average diving depth.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom