What's new

Pakistan signs peace pact with militants in Swat

Sohail:

When you violently fight the state and kill innocent civilians and damage their property and threaten them, you could arguably be called a 'terrorist".

If not terrorist, what would you call them?

If Mullah FM and his posse want to give up the above and respect people and the State, then by all means the negotiations are worth it. If they decide to revert back to their old behavior, then they are terrorists.

AM, wut i was trying to say that people with guns r not terrorists, but as u said people who damage property, kill innocent civilians and threaten them, even i consider them terrorists/extremists, but not the people who want to lay down their weapons n live in peace, but yes action shuld be taken against people who become terrorists again.

AM, I think he's trying to clear up misconceptions about the tribals nothing more. this time around the tribals want the army to purge their land of TTP. i'm sure we all agree that wiping out a militia that use children for suicide missions is what we crave for. but keep in mind the more we fight these people, the children left under the control of these groups will loose their lives.

however, i want everyone to remember that the tribals have rights over the central govt. their lifestyle cannot be interfered with. that was our agreement with them, let's not try to go against that.

all this talk of modernising the area and getting rid of guns is foolish. has everyone forgotten already that a pashtun must hold on to his gun like he holds on to his wife? these people have never caused any problems in the first place, it is only our govt. that initiated this crackdown on orders from the US. now it's coming back to bite us in the rear.

of course in no way i am saying deny them fresh water or electricity. the army is already at work to improve their living conditions. however, putting up billboards of women, bollywood movies, music stations is definitely not the way to go. you're only looking for trouble.

this is not the indian army where we have the right to station ourselves where ever we want. the pakistan army will do so only if the people are pleased, otherwise we will not risk upsetting the population.

I am personally against this particular deal in Swat. But at the same time if it will bring peace to Pakistan ten their is no harm in looking and using all the options we have aviable to us.

this is not the indian army where we have the right to station ourselves where ever we want. the pakistan army will do so only if the people are pleased, otherwise we will not risk upsetting the population.

The only reason the peace process has been initiated is because your democratically elected government could not continue the unpopular (throughout Pakistan) army operation further. Also the operation wasn't leading to a decline in the number of attacks. So negotiations were a better way out, provided that the tribals keep their side of the bargain.

The only reason the peace process has been initiated is because your democratically elected government could not continue the unpopular (throughout Pakistan) army operation further.

where have you been? the pakistan army already tried to negotiate a number of peace deals before with mehsud, nazir, and fazlullah. the peace deals only proved to be a period for regrouping for these groups.

the democratic govt. just executed an operation recently against a stronghold of mehsud, operation zalzalah.

Also the operation wasn't leading to a decline in the number of attacks. So negotiations were a better way out, provided that the tribals keep their side of the bargain.
it's not a matter of tribals keeping their side of the bargain, they have nothing to do with this in the first place. this is the tehriki taliban of pakistan led by mehsud. there are other factions led by Mullah Nazir and Fazlullah of Swat.

The only reason the peace process has been initiated is because your democratically elected government could not continue the unpopular (throughout Pakistan) army operation further. Also the operation wasn't leading to a decline in the number of attacks. So negotiations were a better way out, provided that the tribals keep their side of the bargain.

This so called deal is really dangerous i feel it is equal to 1971. Just seems like a time bomb waiting to explode pakistan in to too many tiny states.

This so called deal is really dangerous i feel it is equal to 1971. Just seems like a time bomb waiting to explode pakistan in to too many tiny states.
pakistan's not going to break up, no one's going anywhere. there's no need to panic over these situations.

political leader assasinations, suicide bombings, violence, and corruption are all apart of daily life. pakistan has become immune from these things, thanks to the army.

where have you been? the pakistan army already tried to negotiate a number of peace deals before with mehsud, nazir, and fazlullah. the peace deals only proved to be a period for regrouping for these groups.

the democratic govt. just executed an operation recently against a stronghold of mehsud, operation zalzalah.

it's not a matter of tribals keeping their side of the bargain, they have nothing to do with this in the first place. this is the tehriki taliban of pakistan led by mehsud. there are other factions led by Mullah Nazir and Fazlullah of Swat.

If these deals have always failed, why go for one now?

Didn't AM mention that there are seperate peace deals in the pipeline? The one that I'm refering to is the deal with the tribals in SWAT.

The point is that the current deal has been made because the government wants to stop the suicide attacks which have shown no reduction inspite of the army operation, and the government hopes/knows/feels that the tribals will keep their side of the bargain as the government is giving ample concessions.

If these deals have always failed, why go for one now?

Didn't AM mention that there are seperate peace deals in the pipeline? The one that I'm refering to is the deal with the tribals in SWAT.
the army has always favoured a peace deal to give itself a positive image. unfortunately, it was restrained by US pressure and even is so now. engaging in peace talks means no more aid and could possibly mean a war with the US.

the new govt. has much more leverage in the WoT now because the media(including world media outlets) painted musharraf as a dictator who is going against his people on the orders of the US govt. the US image is deteriorating, now that the world has seen that it fully supports dictators.

The point is that the current deal has been made because the government wants to stop the suicide attacks which have shown no reduction inspite of the army operation, and the government hopes/knows/feels that the tribals will keep their side of the bargain as the government is giving ample concessions.
stop bringing the tribals into this, this is not india where a whole people go against the writ of the govt. thanks to the gross acts of these militants, they have no support from the local population.

the recent army operation executed under the new govt. will decrease suicide attacks. they have found and destroyed bomb, IED, suicide vests factories. now mehsud is cornered by the army and will probably be forced into a peace deal since we're showing mercy to him.

pakistan's not going to break up, no one's going anywhere. there's no need to panic over these situations.

political leader assasinations, suicide bombings, violence, and corruption are all apart of daily life. pakistan has become immune from these things, thanks to the army.

There is definitely need to panic how cum a country cant deploy its own army in a particular region. Just because some local leader doesn't want. So who rules there. pakistan government or the local leader. I think this deal should be scrapped and pakistan army should kill those buggers.

There is definitely need to panic how cum a country cant deploy its own army in a particular region. Just because some local leader doesn't want. So who rules there. pakistan government or the local leader. I think this deal should be scrapped and pakistan army should kill those buggers.
i understand your concerns, but we can't just go in there and do that. that's why there's a province called FATA. Jinnah made deals with the tribals upon their joining of the pakistan federation.

it's only now while in the WoT, are we facing problems. the people of the state must live in peace, but how can we do that if we are threatened to be "bombed back to the stone age"?

his is not the indian army where we have the right to station ourselves where ever we want. the pakistan army will do so only if the people are pleased, otherwise we will not risk upsetting the population.

Extraordinary!

You mean to say that the Federal govt's writ over Pakistan is a bogus claim? IS the Federal govt of Pakistan moribund and has no control over the destiny of the country? Are you suggesting that the people dictate policy to the Federal govt? Which country you live in? Utopia?

In India, the IA is deployed as per the govt's order and not as an independent body. In fact, the PA is an independent body since they can order their govt about and undertake coups as and when they desire!

So, quit comparing chalk to cheese!

I think this deal should be scrapped and pakistan army should kill those buggers.

Kill them and undergom a period of mass unrest, strife in the whole of the Frontier Province. This aint Communist Soviet Union where the Gulags are built for this purpose. If the "buggers" are the tribal leaders, then forget it! Peace can only be achieved by practicing peace..............Not by assasinating/eliminating!

Extraordinary!
You mean to say that the Federal govt's writ over Pakistan is a bogus claim? IS the Federal govt of Pakistan moribund and has no control over the destiny of the country? Are you suggesting that the people dictate policy to the Federal govt? Which country you live in? Utopia?
what part of "jinnah made a deal with the tribals upon them joining the federation" or "FATA" do you not understand?

In India, the IA is deployed as per the govt's order and not as an independent body. In fact, the PA is an independent body since they can order their govt about and undertake coups as and when they desire!
So, quit comparing chalk to cheese!
calm down, there's no need to wet your pants. if our army launches a coup, that's our problem, not yours.

AM, I think he's trying to clear up misconceptions about the tribals nothing more. this time around the tribals want the army to purge their land of TTP. i'm sure we all agree that wiping out a militia that use children for suicide missions is what we crave for. but keep in mind the more we fight these people, the children left under the control of these groups will loose their lives.

however, i want everyone to remember that the tribals have rights over the central govt. their lifestyle cannot be interfered with. that was our agreement with them, let's not try to go against that.

all this talk of modernising the area and getting rid of guns is foolish. has everyone forgotten already that a pashtun must hold on to his gun like he holds on to his wife? these people have never caused any problems in the first place, it is only our govt. that initiated this crackdown on orders from the US. now it's coming back to bite us in the rear.

of course in no way i am saying deny them fresh water or electricity. the army is already at work to improve their living conditions. however, putting up billboards of women, bollywood movies, music stations is definitely not the way to go. you're only looking for trouble.

I find the logic unique where you are suggesting that people should live in the Stoneage since that is their right by custom and privilege.

Aren't they also Pakistanis? Have they no right to enjoy the boons of modernity that other Pakistanis enjoy? Are they because of age old customs to live a serfs of their tribal masters?

I am surprised that you encourage the thought to leave these people to remain like barbarians till the end of time!

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom