What's new

Pakistan ordered AKINCI UCAV. Pakistan will be one of the first users of the AKINCI system

The procurement of too many types doesn't make sense from the perspective of supply chain, inventory and maintenance.
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) do you think these will help us in improving our indigenous products?
You have given the answer in your question already.

It's alarming that Pakistan barely uses armed drone systems against terrorists on its own territory.
Using drones for attacks on militant hideouts in Baluchistan Vs using field agents in Baluchistan/Afghanistan to take out enemy targets - give it a thought why military operation in Baluchistan should be avoided as well as drones striking civilian areas.

Also give a read why USA used a new type of ammo in recent drone strike.

I'd say the issue isn't that we're importing equipment. Rather, the problem is that our ability to finance this equipment is dwindling with each passing year because our economic fundamentals are bad. Basically, we don't have enough foreign currency to sustain this in the long term.

For me, this is the only reason why I strongly support indigenous development. It channels money into the local economy and can result in high-tech inputs that we can use to substitute imports and/or export in other industries.

Unfortunately, to successfully pull this policy off, you need both able decision-making and longevity/consistency in implementation. Pakistan may get the former from time to time, but the latter is totally missing. Consistency helps build institutional culture and create more good decision-makers in the chain who can course-correct without totally missing the fundamental goal. @JamD

Ultimately, the Bayraktar TB2 and Akinci are the best drones in their class available to Pakistan, and for now, the PAF (and apparently PN) can afford them. So, they'll go for it. However, like manned fighters of yesteryears, the next generation of unmanned drones (e.g., MIUS UCAV) will be expensive.
To add to that:
1. Different drones will be assigned roles in combat according to threat level (COIN and full fledged war)
2. Drones are cheaper to operate and maintain than aircrafts so diversification is easier.
3. All drones will have different radar signatures, carrying different sensors and weaponry for enemy to classify
4. Replacement of losses in war. TB-2 saw some quick losses in Ukraine war. In Pakistan's case who can supply quickly in event of war to cover losses - local company ? Turkey ? China ?
5. The assigning of drones to different formations within a branch of Armed Forces - Army, PAF, Navy - can get their own types or fly coordinated missions.

I am trying to understand mindset of our leadership.
Why don't you research into other things instead :

1. Why have drone strikes reduced against terrorists in COIN war ? say use of drone strikes by USA and then Pakistan.
Is it because all the targets have been taken out ?

2. What countermeasures have Terrorists taken to ensure their safety against drone strikes.

Last edited:
It's alarming that Pakistan barely uses armed drone systems against terrorists on its own territory. I have a hard time understanding the reservation. Drones literally pushed PKK out of Turkey. The organization practically collapsed in SE Turkey - a terrain similar to Pakistan's Western regions - and is now active in Iraq and Syria. What's holding back the security forces of Pakistan? Is money an issue?
UCAV's and UAV's have already been used in COIN ops in Balochistan with great effect you just need to dig a little bit.

Last edited:
I will create a thread for all the systems Pakistan purchased from Turkey.. At this point Pakistan will have a complete edge in Asia as soon as 2026 especially when the Turkish jets arrive both the unmanned and the TFX..

All kinds of Drones

Air defense systems

Subs

Helicopters

Unmanned jets (Arriving in the short term few 3-5 years)

and 5ft gen fighter jet (Arriving in few years 4-6 years)

I am also sure it includes some other systems

Last edited:
I will create a thread for all the systems Pakistan purchased from Turkey.. At this point Pakistan will have a complete edge in Asia as soon as 2026 especially when the Turkish jets arrive both the unmanned and the TFX..

All kinds of Drones

Air defense systems

Subs

Helicopters

Unmanned jets (Arriving in the short term few 3-5 years)

and 5ft gen fighter jet (Arriving in few years 4-6 years)

I am also sure it includes some other systems
Waiting Impatiently. If you feel the need to translate some Turkish sources, I will be happy to help.

Significant progress has also been made in AESA radar integration. It is aimed to complete the integration activities to a large extent in 2022 and to reach operational efficiency by 2023. Thus, the AKINCI system will take an active role in the air defense network and offer an important innovation in the strategic UCAV category to the service of the world armies.

Significant progress has also been made in AESA radar integration. It is aimed to complete the integration activities to a large extent in 2022 and to reach operational efficiency by 2023. Thus, the AKINCI system will take an active role in the air defense network and offer an important innovation in the strategic UCAV category to the service of the world armies.
Thanks for the comments.

SOM-J, Gokhan and BVR Bpzdogan integration in pipe line ?

Thanks for the comments.

SOM-J, Gokhan and BVR Bpzdogan integration in pipe line ?
We expect to see AKINCI fire-test of A-A missiles before the end of 2022. We are still in the early stages for the Ramjet propelled A-A missile, but it is about to enter the serial production phase for Gökdoğan and Bozdoğan.

We also know that KUZGUN missiles, GOKÇE new generation guidance kit firing tests have started. A special variant of SOM-J with composite structure is being worked on. More surprises will be announced soon regarding this type stealth cruise missiles. Undoubtedly, it will be one of the most strategic air-to-ground weapon among the ammunition groups of AKINCI-class UCAVs.

this thing can carry and launch air launched cruise missiles

truly a deadly UAV

It all comes down to costs. If Akinci cost more than JF-17 is it worth it? What can it do that a JF-17 can't do 10x better ? And if you want to save money and costs why not go with the drones you already have in TB2 and Chinese drones.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom