What's new

Indo Aryan Languages of South Asia

ArainGang

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
nw.png

New post with a visual on the Indo Aryan Languages of South Asia. Sources include census results and previous linguistic maps of the region. I'm also linking my full post below where I go into more discussion and detail. Questions and comments welcome!

If you love linguistics like me, I have a question for you. Which element does characterize a language and distinguish it from another one? Is it the vocabulary or the the syntax ?

If you love linguistics like me, I have a question for you. Which element does characterize a language and distinguish it from another one? Is it the vocabulary or the the syntax ?

There's debate about what makes one language separate from another. Personally I place mutual intelligibility as the deciding factor, with vocabulary as second. Though depending on the languages being compared, vocabulary and syntax can have different impacts of the intelligibility between languages.

Why is karachi red? Urdu is spoken there which is related to pakhto and farsi.

Urdu is classified as a Hindustani language, mutually intelligible with Hindi. It has some loanwords from Farsi and Arabic, but the vast majority of its vocabulary and syntax is Central Indo-Aryan.

There's debate about what makes one language separate from another. Personally I place mutual intelligibility as the deciding factor, with vocabulary as second. Though depending on the languages being compared, vocabulary and syntax can have different impacts of the intelligibility between languages.
Are you learning few foreign languages ? I am polishing up my Mandarin and Spanish these days.

Urdu is classified as a Hindustani language, mutually intelligible with Hindi. It has some loanwords from Farsi and Arabic, but the vast majority of its vocabulary and syntax is Central Indo-Aryan.
I call bull. What's hindustani? Also your comparing common urdu to hindi heavily influenced by urdu. They are not the same languages whatsoever.

Urdu also takes vocabulary from Turkish and pakhto. You seem to be missing some very important information. Also what is your background? An American intrested in south asia?

@Indus Pakistan @Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Mangus Ortus Novem

Why is karachi red? Urdu is spoken there which is related to pakhto and farsi.
The base of Urdu ( such as verbs and syntax) is Prakit just like Hindi. Then we have Sanskrit, Farsi etc vocabulary on top of it. These are very flexible languages. Which are used in Urdu can also be applied to Hindi without any issue. Before British rule both Hindi and Urdu used to be called Hindustani. BRITISH promoted them separately at later stage. As a result , Hindi ended up using Devnagri scripts and Urdu kept the Arbo-persian. Keep in mind that Sanskrit syntax are totally different than Urdu/Hindi.

I call bull. What's hindustani? Also your comparing common urdu to hindi heavily influenced by urdu. They are not the same languages whatsoever.

Urdu also takes vocabulary from Turkish and pakhto. You seem to be missing some very important information. Also what is your background? An American intrested in south asia?

@Indus Pakistan @Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Mangus Ortus Novem

Urdu and Hindi are the same language, there's no debate about this. Very slight differences as Urdu has more loanwords from Farsi and Hindi from Sanskrit, but they are 95% the same.

I'm American with Pakistani roots interested in South Asian history, linguistics, and culture.

It would have been much better if both dialects of Hindustani language (Urdu and Hindi) were separately shown in the map..

While urdu contains 70-75%% words of sanskrit, the rest 25-30% come from Farsi (and Arabic through Farsi), Turkish and Tajik. But the impact of this 25-30%% is such that a Urdu speaker may not understand a pure hindi speaker as most of the words in Hindi are from sanskrit and parkrit.. Lately, urdu is integrating English words too. NAATI tests in Australia for interpreter/ translator certifications (for Urdu - English) allow usage of English words that are now commonly used in communication nowadays.

The scripts of both dialects are different too.. and it is now time that both should be considered separate languages rather than dialects..

The base of Urdu ( such as verbs and syntax) is Prakit just like Hindi. Then we have Sanskrit, Farsi etc vocabulary on top of it. These are very flexible languages. Which are used in Urdu can also be applied to Hindi without any issue. Before British rule both Hindi and Urdu used to be called Hindustani. BRITISH promoted them separately at later stage. As a result , Hindi ended up using Devnagri scripts and Urdu kept the Arbo-persian. Keep in mind that Sanskrit syntax are totally different than Urdu/Hindi.

Excellent view. That is why, I don't think that these Prakrit languages, with similar syntax, spoken in Pakistan, Northern India and Bangladesh, can be termed as Indo-Aryan languages. It appears that their fundamental linguistic structure predates the Aryan invasions, in this region.

Are you jobless?

Are you some employment agency?:lol:

View attachment 596740

New post with a visual on the Indo Aryan Languages of South Asia. Sources include census results and previous linguistic maps of the region. I'm also linking my full post below where I go into more discussion and detail. Questions and comments welcome!
Nice, though you missed a few such as Khetrani, Gojri, Jagdali, Grangali, Gawar-Bati, Pashayi and others.

I'm American with Pakistani roots interested in South Asian history, linguistics, and culture.
I have a discord server dedicated to the heritage of the Indus Region, we also discuss current events and geopolitics. Would love to have you:
shorturl.at/noxN6

It appears that their fundamental linguistic structure predates the Aryan invasions, in this region.
Could you explain what you mean by this?

Last edited:
Excellent view. That is why, I don't think that these Prakrit languages, with similar syntax, spoken in Pakistan, Northern India and Bangladesh, can be termed as Indo-Aryan languages. It appears that their fundamental linguistic structure predates the Aryan invasions, in this region.

Previously. Aryan vocabulary entered into our HIMALAYAN Prakrit languages the same we have English vocabulary today. Do our languages become Anglo-Saxon just because we use English vocabulary ? Absolutely not. Our languages remain Prakrit to the core to these days. Similar way, despite having a large Turko-arabic vocabulary, Farsi did not become a semitic or Mongol language.

Back
Top Bottom