What's new

Fantan A-5, Q-5 (NanChang) of Pakistan Air Force

PAF only had A-5B and C and they did not have any targeting pods and used normal Bomb sights.The variants like the Q5E/F were capable of precision strikes they had Pods under the fuselage and could carry 2 LS-500J laser guided bombs but these variants were developed in the late 90s.
Understood. Thank you.

The A-5Cs were the best we could afford in the 1980s as the PAF set the bulk of its funding towards new F-16s. I suspect the goal was to use the A-5Cs as a stopgap until we had enough F-16s to allocate for the air-to-ground role. In fact, the PAF foot the bill for integrating the ATLIS targeting pod to the F-16 and tried securing other compatible munitions, especially the Penguin AShM.

In the 1970s, the PAF had sought a dedicated attack fighter. It selected the A-7 Corsair II and was in negotiations with the US for 110 A-7s. However, that deal fell through due to America's concerns about our nuclear weapons program. By the 1980s rolled around, a single multirole workhorse (i.e. F-16) was a better idea than specialized aircraft.

tbh I think the real shame was the Italian-Brazilian AMX. It came 10 years too early. Had the AMX entered production in the 2000s, I think the PAF would've acquired it (instead of Mirage ROSE-II/III) for precision strikes, SOW deployment, CAS, CT/COIN, etc.

The A-5Cs were the best we could afford in the 1980s as the PAF set the bulk of its funding towards new F-16s. I suspect the goal was to use the A-5Cs as a stopgap until we had enough F-16s to allocate for the air-to-ground role. In fact, the PAF foot the bill for integrating the ATLIS targeting pod to the F-16 and tried securing other compatible munitions, especially the Penguin AShM.

In the 1970s, the PAF had sought a dedicated attack fighter. It selected the A-7 Corsair II and was in negotiations with the US for 110 A-7s. However, that deal fell through due to America's concerns about our nuclear weapons program. By the 1980s rolled around, a single multirole workhorse (i.e. F-16) was a better idea than specialized aircraft.

tbh I think the real shame was the Italian-Brazilian AMX. It came 10 years too early. Had the AMX entered production in the 2000s, I think the PAF would've acquired it (instead of Mirage ROSE-II/III) for precision strikes, SOW deployment, CAS, CT/COIN, etc.
Actually F-16s and A-5Cs were inducted just a day apart from one another into the PAF lol

Actually F-16s and A-5Cs were inducted just a day apart from one another into the PAF lol
Yeah but the A-5Cs were the low-cost stopgap until we got more F-16s (i.e. the Peace Gate III/IV tranches). From the day they signed the Peace Gate I order, the PAF was always planning to build a large (150-ish) F-16 fleet. It sounds wild, but at the time, that was the direction most F-16 operators were heading.

Yeah but the A-5Cs were the low-cost stopgap until we got more F-16s (i.e. the Peace Gate III/IV tranches). From the day they signed the Peace Gate I order, the PAF was always planning to build a large (150-ish) F-16 fleet. It sounds wild, but at the time, that was the direction most F-16 operators were heading.
Yes. We had ordered 8 2-seaters in the first order of 40 with aim of have a substantial strength of pilots already converted on the platform when the III/IV trances started flowing later on.

A-5C ...

1643807965984.png

Nanchang A-5C, NATO Code Fantan.

1644415392581.png

Pakistan was one of the largest operators of A-5C entered the arsenal of the 7th, 16th and 26th squadrons, but in 2011 they were withdrawn from the arsenal.

1645218281889.png

An A-5C Belonging To No 26 "Black Spiders" Squadron Well Camouflaged Against The Tropical Trees Surrounding Peshawar Air Base.

A-5c Fantan Ground Attack Aircraft Armed With Four HAFR-2 Anti-runway Bombs On A Training Mission.

Note - Grounded From Active Service

1645546137340.png

o.16 Squadron A-5s in1980's....

1646520273269.png

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom