What's new

Question: How will AVIC position Hongdu L-15B vs JF-17B?

Eh, do they even need one anytime soon? If the do I think they would go for a western aircraft due to changing geopolitics in their tension filled area.
Ukraine dont have the money to go for Western design. Where can you get a decent modern advance trainer that can filled training role/attacking and fighter intercept role ,all in one w/o burning a hole in yr pocket? China, L-15b. Not to mention the engines are deprived from Ukraine will even simplify more process.

The only obstacle will be selling arms to Ukraine may raise objection from Russia who is a strategic allies who deemed such move is provocation since it may use those plane against Russian.

Eh, do they even need one anytime soon? If the do I think they would go for a western aircraft due to changing geopolitics in their tension filled area.

At least they just announced to develop a new "indigenous" light-weight fighter on their own to replace the MiG-29

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27165.msg280247.html#msg280247

strange fighter - maybe Ukrainian LBL.jpg

Ukraine dont have the money to go for Western design. Where can you get a decent modern advance trainer that can filled training role/attacking and fighter intercept role ,all in one w/o burning a hole in yr pocket? China, L-15b. Not to mention the engines are deprived from Ukraine will even simplify more process.

The only obstacle will be selling arms to Ukraine may raise objection from Russia who is a strategic allies who deemed such move is provocation since it may use those plane against Russian.
You have a point about cost but we are talking here about Ukraine smack in the middle of a tug of war between NATO and Russia. While Chinese a/c would be a cheaper prospect I'd imagine Ukrainian leadership would be thinking long-term! Due to this whole thing with Russia, I'd bet my last dollar they would be thinking of joining NATO in the future. If anyone would be coming to back them up if stuff hits the fan it would be NATO not China. Short term cost saving or long term survival? Me thinks the latter.

At least they just announced to develop a new "indigenous" light-weight fighter on their own to replace the MiG-29

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27165.msg280247.html#msg280247

View attachment 395204
I seriously doubt they can fulfil such project. Just like Russian talking about building more aircraft carrier and even nuclear for years but until now. Not even a screw for such project has made. Ukraine simply has no money to move forward such project.

You have a point about cost but we are talking here about Ukraine smack in the middle of a tug of war between NATO and Russia. While Chinese a/c would be a cheaper prospect I'd imagine Ukrainian leadership would be thinking long-term! Due to this whole thing with Russia, I'd bet my last dollar they would be thinking of joining NATO in the future. If anyone would be coming to back them up if stuff hits the fan it would be NATO not China. Short term cost saving or long term survival? Me thinks the latter.

You really think NATO will stand up for Ukraine against Russia? I can even foresee NATO desperate trying to reject Ukraine entrance to NATO.

L15b is a trainer, not fighter jet.

You really think NATO will stand up for Ukraine against Russia? I can even foresee NATO desperate trying to reject Ukraine entrance to NATO.
Obviously not barring something extreme but its not about what we think as much as it could be right, its what they think, in their mind the fact Russia is against them, NATO will back them up just due to that.

Slightly more focused to the topic, would you see the L-159 as a potential competitor to the L-15?

Obviously not barring something extreme but its not about what we think as much as it could be right, its what they think, in their mind the fact Russia is against them, NATO will back them up just due to that.

Slightly more focused to the topic, would you see the L-159 as a potential competitor to the L-15?
L-159 is not supersonic and lack the advance of L-15 such as LEX, FBW. The payload, range are pale shadow compare to L-15B. There is a reason why China dare to proclaim L-15 as the best advance trainer currently on market.

For small airforce with limited budget. This is the idea all in one, trainer, attacker and fighter. Countries choose L-159 over L-15 will be due to political reason.

L15b is a trainer, not fighter jet.
YOu are absolutely wrong.

Right From test pilot mouth. Or you want to tell me you know L-15 better than the test pilot? Prove it. If not,You just cannot accept L-15 can compete with JF-17? Why?

L-159 is not supersonic and lack the advance of L-15 such as LEX, FBW. The payload, range are pale shadow compare to L-15B. There is a reason why China dare to proclaim L-15 as the best advance trainer currently on market.

For small airforce with limited budget. This is the idea all in one, trainer, attacker and fighter. Countries choose L-159 over L-15 will be due to political reason.

YOu are absolutely wrong.

Right From test pilot mouth. Or you want to tell me you know L-15 better than the test pilot? Prove it. If not,You just cannot accept L-15 can compete with JF-17? Why?
I'm just saying there is no reason why China can't export L15 to Ukraine.can you get me? Dont forget Russia always sell weapons to our enemy.

Last edited:
L15b is a trainer with secondary striker purpose, it is a advanced LIFT trainer.

L15b is a trainer with secondary striker purpose, it is a advanced LIFT trainer.
secondary strike is just a loose term. It can be throw into front line as fighter if needed. Making it indeed a fighter jet. I can bet this L-15B can give F-16C/D a run for their money and no problem taking out Mig-21, F-5EII.

Different class of aircrafts for different customers. L-15B is primarily a trainer with some secondary fighter/bomber roles, while the JF-17B is primarily a fighter/bomber with some secondary trainer roles. The JF-17B has the L-15B in speed, range, altitude, radar, and payload, but it'll cost about twice as much as the L-15B.

The L-15B is suitable for two types of customers. First are countries like Zambia, whose military is so poor that the limited fighting capabilities is enough as the top-end or near top-end aircraft, and the training capabilities further save cost by doubling as a trainer. Second are wealthy militaries like China's or maybe Saudi's who have numerous very high-end aircrafts that the trainer needs to be rather high-end as well. The JF-17B is more for the countries in between, whose militaries are advanced enough that the L-15B 's fighting capabilities are not sufficient, but doesn't quite have enough high-end aircrafts that they require a very high-end trainer.

secondary strike is just a loose term. It can be throw into front line as fighter if needed. Making it indeed a fighter jet. I can bet this L-15B can give F-16C/D a run for their money and no problem taking out Mig-21, F-5EII.
But not as J-10, J-11 series with due respect sir, are you saying this for African and third world customers sir?o_O:what: or for PLAAF:p:

NO, it can't field agianst F16 CD. the radome is too small. it would have been shot down before it can see F16.

Time to come back to reality.

Any possibility Phillipine airforce will induct L15b?

It's a perfect platform to deal with terrorists hiding in the jungle.

We can sell anyone L15b if they willing to pay.

As President Duterte said T50 bought from Korea is waste of money, maybe L15b stand a chance.

NO, it can't field agianst F16 CD. the radome is too small. it would have been shot down before it can see F16.

Time to come back to reality.

Any possibility Phillipine airforce will induct L15b?

It's a perfect platform to deal with terrorists hiding in the jungle.

We can sell anyone L15b if they willing to pay.

As President Duterte said T50 bought from Korea is waste of money, maybe L15b stand a chance.
He has since changed his tune regarding the FA-50, since its been in action he seems to have taken a liking to it, plus makes no sense to buy another aircraft which is like for like.

He has since changed his tune regarding the FA-50, since its been in action he seems to have taken a liking to it, plus makes no sense to buy another aircraft which is like for like.
It's an open option.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom