What's new

Featured Iran has rejected Russia's proposal to negotiate with the United States

Dariush the Great

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Iranian authorities have rejected Russia's proposal to establish direct Iranian-American talks

Iranian President's Chief of Staff Mahmoud Vaezi said that the proposal of Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to establish a direct dialogue between Tehran and Washington was rejected, Anatolia reports.

Stressing that Russia and many other countries are making efforts to relax relations between Iran and the United States, Vaezi told the Tesnim news agency that Iran has no plan to negotiate with Washington and that Tehran has made its position clear.

Looks like Iran is breaking apart from Russia ... I've noticed their relations noticeably decline over the past few years.

Iranian authorities have rejected Russia's proposal to establish direct Iranian-American talks

Iranian President's Chief of Staff Mahmoud Vaezi said that the proposal of Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to establish a direct dialogue between Tehran and Washington was rejected, Anatolia reports.

Stressing that Russia and many other countries are making efforts to relax relations between Iran and the United States, Vaezi told the Tesnim news agency that Iran has no plan to negotiate with Washington and that Tehran has made its position clear.

What a nation. Bravo.

I hope ties with Russia keep improving.

Naturally Iran and Russia has some tension, in West Asia, Caucasia and Caspian Sea.
Historically, they are not ally but rivals. Russia Empire and Soviet occupied a great portion of Persia.

I am just saying the facts, no intention to incite.

This has nothing to do with Iran-Russia relations. It's more about the determination of the Iranian politicians not to negotiate with the United States after Soleimani's assassination.

The JCPOA was an unprecedented opportunity for Iran and the United States to mend ties 36 years after the 1979 revolution, but the Americans didn't seize it. After Rouhani, the next president will be from the conservative party and I think it's safe to assume that there will be no negotiations between Iran and the United States until 2029.

Naturally Iran and Russia has some tension, in West Asia, Caucasia and Caspian Sea.
Historically, they are not ally but rivals. Russia Empire and Soviet occupied a great portion of Persia.

I am just saying the facts, no intention to incite.
It was in times when Russian Empire had a population of 120mln compared to 12mln in Iran and Soviets had 293mln compared to 38mln in Iran.

Today Russia has 143mln people compared to 83mln in Iran and in the future Russian population will continue declining and aging while Iran becomes a bigger country with larger population. So Russia will be unable to threaten Iran like how it did in the past. (especially since Russia has more problems in Europe and Asia)

Also, today Russia has big concerns regarding rise of Turkish power. Turkey is the second most dangerous neighbor of Russia after China

Turkey has big long-term interests in the Caucasus/Black Sea region and Eastern Europe.

In the Caucasus Turkey is a potential hegemon because the strongest/biggest/wealthiest country in the Caucasus is Azerbaijan, which is an agent of Turkey in the region. Georgia is also potentially pro-Turkish...and now if Turkey deploys bases in Azerbaijan and Georgia from there it can influence nearby Sunni Muslims of Russia--Chechens/Dagestanis and Ingush and support their separatism----Russia sees rise of Turkish influence in the Caucasus as a threat to its territorial integrity

Black Sea----here Turkish Navy is already more powerful than Russian Black Sea Navy and in the near future situation will be even worse for Russia

Eastern Europe---Turkey can establish defence links with Romania/Poland/Ukraine and build a containing alliance against Russia in Eastern Europe and Black Sea region....

(Turkey at this moment is not ready to start a conflict with Russia due to its dependence on Russian gas---however with new discoveries of gas in the Black Sea and Turkish attempts to diversify away from Russia things can change)

So Russia is really concerned regarding rise of Turkish power in the region and sees Iran as an ally and natural counterweight to Turkish power in the Caucasus and Middle East

Yeah lol, no real pressing need to look too much further into this decision by Iran. It's a simple matter of sticking to one's principals in light of all that has transpired in recent months/years. Russia and Iran haven't suffered any sort of meaningful decline in mutual-relations that would have possibly led to this course of action by IRI due to (supposed) declining rapport. Iran is just doing what it deems to be right by its own sense of dignity/self-respect.

I shouldn't have to remind people of this but Iran has been unjustly smacked by Trump's true Israeli First administration time and time again: any sort of dialogue or "negotiations" with them would be bad-from so to speak. Hajj Qassem Soleimani's death still hasn't been truly avenged, I just don't see how Iran would just up and make good with the U.S. now.

I guess this does beg the question though, how much resistance in the face of horrid economics woes at home is enough to justify such a course of defiance?

This has nothing to do with Iran-Russia relations. It's more about the determination of the Iranian politicians not to negotiate with the United States after Soleimani's assassination.

The JCPOA was an unprecedented opportunity for Iran and the United States to mend ties 36 years after the 1979 revolution, but the Americans didn't seize it. After Rouhani, the next president will be from the conservative party and I think it's safe to assume that there will be no negotiations between Iran and the United States until 2029.
It's damn sure next Iran president won't sign treaty with US which has already favored US so much. JCPOA is the best deal US can get.

China bet on Iran, offer a fair deal which base on mutual benefit. JCPOA is cold dead.

It was in times when Russian Empire had a population of 120mln compared to 12mln in Iran and Soviets had 293mln compared to 38mln in Iran.

Today Russia has 143mln people compared to 83mln in Iran and in the future Russian population will continue declining and aging while Iran becomes a bigger country with larger population. So Russia will be unable to threaten Iran like how it did in the past. (especially since Russia has more problems in Europe and Asia)

Also, today Russia has big concerns regarding rise of Turkish power. Turkey is the second most dangerous neighbor of Russia after China

Turkey has big long-term interests in the Caucasus/Black Sea region and Eastern Europe.

In the Caucasus Turkey is a potential hegemon because the strongest/biggest/wealthiest country in the Caucasus is Azerbaijan, which is an agent of Turkey in the region. Georgia is also potentially pro-Turkish...and now if Turkey deploys bases in Azerbaijan and Georgia from there it can influence nearby Sunni Muslims of Russia--Chechens/Dagestanis and Ingush and support their separatism----Russia sees rise of Turkish influence in the Caucasus as a threat to its territorial integrity

Black Sea----here Turkish Navy is already more powerful than Russian Black Sea Navy and in the near future situation will be even worse for Russia

Eastern Europe---Turkey can establish defence links with Romania/Poland/Ukraine and build a containing alliance against Russia in Eastern Europe and Black Sea region....

(Turkey at this moment is not ready to start a conflict with Russia due to its dependence on Russian gas---however with new discoveries of gas in the Black Sea and Turkish attempts to diversify away from Russia things can change)

So Russia is really concerned regarding rise of Turkish power in the region and sees Iran as an ally and natural counterweight to Turkish power in the Caucasus and Middle East
Thanks. Appreciate your point of view.

1. Soleimani - Iran's top military leader- was killed by USA not long ago.
2. Make zero sense to negotiate with USA at this moment, US election is only 2 months away.
3. Agree to negotiate with US now only helps Trump's election - the last person Iran want to see as US president

Conclusion: Russian's proposal will only help Trump for his election. Nothing else.
Trump is Putin's puppet is TRUE:police:

It's damn sure next Iran president won't sign treaty with US which has already favored US so much. JCPOA is the best deal US can get.

China bet on Iran, offer a fair deal which base on mutual benefit. JCPOA is cold dead.
Hopefully the next president would show more courage when it comes to the repeated violations of the JCPOA. Iran still has many options and cards to play that the Rouhani administration has failed to use them. That aside, the JCPOA is valid only until 2025 and I highly doubt that the next president would spend his first term keeping that deal because that would mean risking his second term.

In my experience, the Rouhani administration is by far the most pro-West liberal government that Iran has had after the Khatami administration. The only difference is that Khatami was not even as half powerful as Rouhani. I can't wait for his term to end. Iranian elections will be in May and he will leave the office in July/August.

Last edited:
Hopefully the next president would show more courage when it comes to the repeated violations of the JCPOA. Iran still has many options and cards to play that the Rouhani administration has failed to use them. That aside, the JCPOA is valid only until 2025 and I highly doubt that the next president would spend his first term keeping that deal because that would mean risking his second term.

In my experience, the Rouhani administration is by far the most pro-West liberal government that Iran has had after the Khatami administration. The only difference is that Khatami was not even half power as Rouhani. I can't wait for his term to end. Iranian elections will be in May and he will leave the office in July/August.
Rouhani bet on US and EU. China did NOT get much share in post JCPOA.

Rouhani was betrayed by US and EU, on the other hand, China take the risk and seize the cooperation opportunities of Iran.

Hopefully it will work, as China's offer has really pissed off quite a lot of countries in West Asia(ME), and the West, especially Israel and US. China will have to pay a heavy price, quite a lot of political capital to keep our promise in this 400 billions deal.

If Iran next president take offer from west again and kick China out, China will be embarrassed and lose a lot.

Rouhani was betrayed by US and EU, on the other hand, China take the risk and seize the cooperation opportunities of Iran.

Hopefully it will work, as China's offer has really pissed off quite a lot of countries in West Asia(ME), and the West, especially Israel and US. China will have to pay a heavy price, quite a lot of political capital to keep our promise in this 400 billions deal.

If Iran next president take offer from west again and kick China out, China will be embarrassed and lose a lot.
The reformists in Iran are quite pro-West. That's why they are called "reformists" in the first place. They believe that Iran should mend ties with the Western countries and become allies with them (which is technically impossible at this point). The hardliners call them "the Fifth Column of the West". The JCPOA is mostly the outcome of their mindset.

The Chinese should be smart. Do not sign a deal with the Rouhani administration. They are already depicting China as some evil country that wants to take over Iran while negotiating with you at the same time. They are releasing false information about the deal to the public to help the Western propaganda against you. All reformist newspapers are demonizing China everyday. If you are smart, you should wait for a year for Rouhani to leave the office and then enter negotiations with the new president.

Let's not forget that all reformist newspapers bashed China for infecting the world with "Wuhan virus". Reformist newspapers basically translate and republish whatever that is written in Western newspapers, sometimes verbatim.

The hardliners are anti-West and if the Chinese are ready to take an independent stance from the Western dictated policies, they will welcome you because the general consensus among Iranian conservatives at this time is that China is also at odds with the US and Europe and they see you as potential allies for this period at least.

If the next Iranian president doesn't seize the opportunity to foster larger and healthier deals with China in order to build even grander mutually beneficial relationships then I wouldn't blame the Chinese government at all if they truly do decide to push Iran more to side in favor of other economic accords with nations willing to cooperate more readily. Seems like Iran got cold feet, or was just a little to up its own "***" to see the forest for the trees.

Hind sight being 20/20 though, I guess Iran thought it was doing what needed to be done but we saw just how single handedly detrimental one Israeli constructed surrogate administration (Trump's) can be. I hope one day Iran will be able to smack Israel back for all the bullshit they've sowed throughout the region but until then Iran needs to bide its time, accumulate strength and deterrence and plan to make itself more secure. This isn't even close to being over, honestly man I feel like a bigger way is on the horizon: how can it not be? Given all the war games, weapon unveilings, assassinations, bombings, etc.... No two nations have had this level of EXTREME animosity between one another and not gone to war barring the Soviet-Union and the United States during the Cold War era.

Eh idk, I hope Iran will be sufficiently ready by then but who knows...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom