What's new

Indian Artillery Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artillery gun trials from month-end idrw.org

The shortage of artillery guns in the Army is to be a thing of the past. Field trials to test the guns of two of the worlds leading gun-makers will commence at the shooting ranges in Rajasthan at the end of this month.

According to sources in the Defence Ministry, a 155-mm gun, which is the backbone of artillery, has to be purchased immediately. One of the two guns, meeting the general staff qualitative requirement (GSQR), has to be selected and there will be no waiting. The selection system would be transparent, sources said.

Since 2002, India has conducted trials for the 155-mm gun at least four times. However, each time the nation has shied away from purchasing the gun. The shadow of the AB Bofors gun deal done in late 1980’s loomed large and held back the bureaucracy and politicos from taking a decision, maintains a top source.

Trials will be conducted in deserts and mountains. The summer phase could start anytime between May 25 and 30. The maximum daytime temperature will play a major role in making that decision as the gun has to be tested for withstanding heat. The Army needs around 1,580 155-mm guns and is looking at a 52 calibre bore — that is heavier and fires longer than the 39 calibre being used now.

The guns being considered for the purpose are IFH-2000, developed by Singapore Technologies Kinetics. The company has Punj Lloyd as its Indian partner. Its competitor is British company BAE Systems’ FH-77B-05. They have Mahindra and Mahindra as their Indian partner. The guns of both companies have reached India and are ready to fire. Notably, the BAE has bought over the Swedish gun-maker AB Bofors and now owns that technology.

Chief of Indian Army Gen VK Singh elaborated on the urgency and importance of the artillery guns this morning saying “… battlefield environment of the future may entail short, swift and violent engagement … warfare requires application of firepower extending into the depth of enemy territory”. He was speaking at the start of two-day seminar on artillery technology organised by the Centre for Land Warfare Studies

Hope they chose the BAE(Bofors) gun that has proved its mettle in the Kargil victory.

India to test M777 lightweight howitzer

The Indian Army is to conduct 'confirmatory' trials of the BAE Systems M777 155 mm/39-cal lightweight howitzer in the western Rajasthan desert prior to acquiring 145 guns via the US Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme.

Military and defence industry sources in New Delhi told Jane's that the M777 trials with Indian-made ammunition were intended merely to 'validate' the FMS agreement under which India will acquire 145 units with Selex Laser Inertial Artillery Pointing Systems for USD647 million.

Industry sources anticipate the deal being signed by the end of Fiscal Year 2010-11 next March.

Thereafter, howitzer deliveries are expected to begin within 18-24 months to equip two mountain divisions for deployment along India's disputed northeast frontier with China.

Logistical and technical support for the trials will be provided by a joint venture between BAE Systems and Mahindra Defence Systems focused on armoured vehicles - a partnership formed recently with an INR1 billion (USD22.22 million) equity on a 26:74 basis favouring the latter.

BAE Systems has declined to confirm or deny the M777's date of arrival in India for testing.

India to test M777 lightweight howitzer

How they are not sure about the M777's arrival i have seen it in defexo and the BAE officials were saying that it will remain in India for tests.

This acquisition will definitely help India in improving its capability to fight a two front war(God forbid!!)...

Yes , BAE Gun looks much better than ST Kinetics. But they should procure them ASAP.

Mate they r not for Kashmir as far as i ve read..they r exclusively for the two mountain divisions that are being raised In N-E India.

Mate I heard that. But there is no immediate war like situation with China. Though they are talking about NE but isn't it logical that many of them will placed in highly rough mountain regions of Kashmir as well.

Mate I heard that. But there is no immediate war like situation with China. Though they are talking about NE but isn't it logical that many of them will placed in highly rough mountain regions of Kashmir as well.

Yeah maybe..but i think we have more than sufficient defences on ur western border..Its our Eastern border that is relatively vulnerable both in infra and defences.

i think after caring too much 4 pak,indian govts forgot to add china ,now they are waking up.

this sale is excellent for our artillery divisions which up till now have only the bofors guns as a viable option in an eventuality of war......

Yeah maybe..but i think we have more than sufficient defences on ur western border..Its our Eastern border that is relatively vulnerable both in infra and defences.

yeahh rite. Actually I will be more happy if India gets some smart munitions as well.

M777_6.jpg

ufh1.jpg

ufh4.jpg

ufh12.jpg

Should be exclusively for NE. Army may change it if required obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom