What's new

IAF: STRATEGIC TRANSFORMATION

I found disturbing GAO findings about the C-17 for my new report on "Maintining Operational Readiness", cost effective alternatives are also given with the cost savings.Today the cost savings will be even more considering inflation and exchange rates.
All this boils to the question ""did the IAF do an Analysis of Alternatives(AOA) before going in for such a huge purchase?"

C-17 Aircraft: Cost and Performance Issues (Chapter Report, 01/<strong>26</strong>/<strong>95</strong>,GAO/<strong>NSIAD</strong>-<strong>95</strong>-<strong>26</strong>).

Air Force C-17 Aircraft Procurement: Background and Issues for Congress - Jeremiah Gertler - Google Books

http://www.gao.gov/assets/160/150222.pdf

All this boils to the question ""did the IAF do an Analysis of Alternatives(AOA) before going in for such a huge purchase?"

It was mainly a political deal, in return for the nuclear pact. There was no real evaluation of alternatives by IAF and cost-effectivity surely was not the aim, but increase reach and transport capability. The we have on order therefor fits the operational improvements, but obviously add a huge unit and operational bill. We see pretty much the same now with the US-2 deal and Japan.

It was mainly a political deal, in return for the nuclear pact. There was no real evaluation of alternatives by IAF and cost-effectivity surely was not the aim, but increase reach and transport capability. The we have on order therefor fits the operational improvements, but obviously add a huge unit and operational bill. We see pretty much the same now with the US-2 deal and Japan.
Exactly , is it the optimal way? I dont know,but its critical that we keep asking such questions as its our tax money, because "the tax payers money is always atttractive for the ones who spend it" - prof Pordyut Das.

Exactly , is it the optimal way? I dont know,but its critical that we keep asking such questions as its our tax money, because "the tax payers money is always atttractive for the ones who spend it" - prof Pordyut Das.

Not optimal but sometimes necessary for the greater good. The C17 at least will offer IAF a credible push in transport capability, the US-2 on the other side, will hardly offer much advantages to IN, but eat a big part of the budget with the high costs. Of course it's tax money, but deepen the relations to certain countries is in the interest of India too.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom