EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Desperate to beat India in Champions Trophy: Gul
Agencies
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 at 1537 hrs IST

Dubai: Pakistan has never beaten India in an ICC tournament and pacer Umar Gul says his team is desperate to break the jinx when the two sides come face to face in next month's Champions Trophy in South Africa.

"While every match will be important, the game against India, as always, will be special for both the sides. No rivalry can match that between India and Pakistan and I think the September 26 match will be something billions of people all over the world will be waiting for," Gul said.

"For us, the match is also important for the simple fact that we haven't beaten them in an ICC event and we're desperate to break that sequence," he added. India is the only country that has won all the three major ICC events -- the 50-over World Cup (in 1983), ICC Champions Trophy (jointly with Sri Lanka in 2002) and ICC World Twenty20 (in 2007).

Gul believes it is Pakistan's turn to add the one trophy which is missing from its cabinet by winning the eight-nation tournament to be staged from September 22 to October 5.

"I believe we have an excellent team for one-day cricket and it is the combination that makes us a quality side. The return of Mohammad Yousuf and Rana Naved has provided further impetus to the side which is bubbling with confidence after its victory in the ICC World Twenty20 in England in June.

"But we're aware that it is not going to be easy at all in South Africa and we'll have to be at our best all through to win," Gul said in an ICC news letter. Pakistan is grouped with Australia, the West Indies and India. Gul said the Pakistani team is high on confidence after winning the World Twenty20 Championships in June but is also feeling the pressure of expectations.

"Although it is a different format, it is always good to go in as a champion side because it gives you that extra confidence which is vital in big tournaments. However, our victory in England has raised the bar of expectations and our supporters want us to win everything. That puts us under more pressure."

Agencies
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 at 1537 hrs IST

Dubai: Pakistan has never beaten India in an ICC tournament and pacer Umar Gul says his team is desperate to break the jinx when the two sides come face to face in next month's Champions Trophy in South Africa.

"While every match will be important, the game against India, as always, will be special for both the sides. No rivalry can match that between India and Pakistan and I think the September 26 match will be something billions of people all over the world will be waiting for," Gul said.

"For us, the match is also important for the simple fact that we haven't beaten them in an ICC event and we're desperate to break that sequence," he added. India is the only country that has won all the three major ICC events -- the 50-over World Cup (in 1983), ICC Champions Trophy (jointly with Sri Lanka in 2002) and ICC World Twenty20 (in 2007).

Gul believes it is Pakistan's turn to add the one trophy which is missing from its cabinet by winning the eight-nation tournament to be staged from September 22 to October 5.

"I believe we have an excellent team for one-day cricket and it is the combination that makes us a quality side. The return of Mohammad Yousuf and Rana Naved has provided further impetus to the side which is bubbling with confidence after its victory in the ICC World Twenty20 in England in June.

"But we're aware that it is not going to be easy at all in South Africa and we'll have to be at our best all through to win," Gul said in an ICC news letter. Pakistan is grouped with Australia, the West Indies and India. Gul said the Pakistani team is high on confidence after winning the World Twenty20 Championships in June but is also feeling the pressure of expectations.

"Although it is a different format, it is always good to go in as a champion side because it gives you that extra confidence which is vital in big tournaments. However, our victory in England has raised the bar of expectations and our supporters want us to win everything. That puts us under more pressure."

India is ready.

come and try it.

:usflag::coffee::pop:

In the mid September i think. I think India will be facing lots of short balls and toe-crushing yorkers.. :D Better plan for it.. FAST.

[/COLOR]
In the mid September i think. I think India will be facing lots of short balls and toe-crushing yorkers.. :D Better plan for it.. FAST.

They already got experience playing with south Africa.

But it will be interesting to see match between India and Pakistan like always.

:usflag::coffee::pop:

They played and won T-20 WC in SA.

IPL-2 was entirely played in SA.

We are ready. We also have our own fast bowlers and not to forget some world class batting line up.

Umar Gul and Mo.Asif are only waiting for their nightmare.

GB

We are ready. We also have our own fast bowlers and not to forget some world class batting line up.

GB

I think if Pakistani batting line up doesn't self-destruct than Pakistan should be able to beat India. :pakistan:

i would never waste time predicting winners in an India vs Pakistan match...the ODI rankings...past history....who's playing who's not...doesn't matter...no favorites...absolutely not.

I dont care who wins.....As long as we play.....I havent seen this matchup in so effin long....and Im sick of watching Baseballl..

BTW...Can someone please help me out....Is there a site where I can watch the game free online? Or even a bar in NYC that shows the champions trophy?

Id be grateful to other members living in NYC if they could help me out with this info...

Thanks
Peshwa

GB

You are forgetting that Indian team didn't even reach the semi finals in T-20. Your guys are carrying hidden injuries and fatigue.

Pakistani team is hungry to win every single championship to prove a point and trust me they are the toughest team in this tournament.

Good luck to you. We will do our best to hand you a crushing defeat insha-Allah.

You are forgetting that Indian team didn't even reach the semi finals in T-20. Your guys are carrying hidden injuries and fatigue.

With a rest for more than 2 months and ommiting of injured players I think that is no longer a problem

Besides we will be playing a tri-series in Lanka with New Zealand as thir country which should warm us up before the Champions Trophy.

I think if Pakistani batting line up doesn't self-destruct than Pakistan should be able to beat India

# 1 You are expecting too much from your team in terms of self-destruct.

# 2 They didn't self destruct during 2003 WC match either. It was Tendulkar who did all the destruction. My heart literaly wiped the other day for my favorite player Saeed Anwar who made a century against India in the same match.

i would never waste time predicting winners in an India vs Pakistan match...the ODI rankings...past history....who's playing who's not...doesn't matter...no favorites...absolutely not.

Agree.

GB

With a rest for more than 2 months and ommiting of injured players I think that is no longer a problem

Besides we will be playing a tri-series in Lanka with New Zealand as thir country which should warm us up before the Champions Trophy.

Yep but look at the result ... no Zaheer and no Viru.

Ashish Nehra is back but he will not have same spark as Zaheer.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom