CIA agents hunt bin Laden from inside Waziristan

TruthSeeker

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
United States
Former CIA agent's hunt for bin Laden in Pakistani badlands

Tim Reid in Washington

Art Keller, a blond, blue-eyed CIA agent, sits inside a decrepit building deep inside al-Qaeda territory, staring at his computer screen. He is forbidden by his Pakistani minders from venturing out into the badlands of Waziristan to help to find and kill the world’s most wanted man.

The fruitless search has essentially been outsourced by the US to a network of Pashtun spies run by the Pakistani intelligence services.

Mr Keller was one of an estimated 50 to 100 CIA agents and special operations officers whose mission for the past eight years has been to find and kill bin Laden and other top al-Qaeda leaders in the hostile and forbidding Pakistani border region, where he is believed to be hiding.

Mr Keller, 39, volunteered for the bin Laden team and was sent in 2006 to become acting chief of one of the CIA’s bases in the heart of al-Qaeda and Taleban territory in Waziristan. It was an experience that leaves him wondering today if the al-Qaeda leader will ever be found.

Mr Keller was not an obvious choice for the job — he spoke no Middle Eastern languages, and was not an expert on al-Qaeda or Pakistan. Yet in 2006, with many resources diverted to Iraq, the CIA was desperate for agents to join the hunt.

Today this is changing. The agency is bringing back CIA retirees — a group known as The Cadre — many of whom are veterans who worked with the Afghan Mujahidin during the Soviet occupation in the 1980s.

Mr Keller’s replacement when he left Shawshank — the nickname given to his base in Waziristan because it resembled the prison life depicted in The Shawshank Redemption — was one such man, a grey-haired, CIA veteran, 65, who speaks Pashtu.

“Some of these guys have been hunting bin Laden for years,” Mr Keller says. His replacement, whom Mr Keller believes is still in Pakistan, has spent eight months a year since the September 11 attacks working out of these CIA safe houses looking for the top al-Qaeda leadership.

The hunt for bin Laden is largely run by the ISI, the Pakistani intelligence service, an organisation for whom many CIA officials harbour deep mistrust because of its historical ties to the Pashtuns of Waziristan.

Mr Keller says the nerve centre of the hunt is in Islamabad but the ground operation is run from decrepit bases such as Shawshank. The hub of the operation was the communications room, from where he worked alongside officials from other branches of the US intelligence agencies.

Here they would pore over intelligence collected from electronic intercepts, aerial photographs taken by unmanned drones, and human intelligence collected by Pashtun spies. CIA agents were rarely allowed to leave the compound by the Pakistanis.

One reason was that blond-haired agents such as Mr Keller would be targets for assassination. The other is that the Pakistanis like to have control of the hunt. Any spying was done by local Pashtuns, and under the watchful eye of the Pakistani authorities.

“Our role in the hunt was done entirely from in front of a computer inside the base,” Mr Keller says. When he wanted to follow up a lead, he would get in touch with a local Pashtun proxy to ask him to travel to a certain area to glean information.

It is dangerous work. In 2005 the CIA recruited a local mullah to go into Waziristan to report back on any Arabs in the area — a sign that bin Laden, a Saudi, could be near by. Days later the mullah was found on a roadside, beheaded, a message tucked into his shirt that this was the fate of spies.

When a senior al-Qaeda figure was identified and located — Mr Keller said that it would take weeks, often months, to build a case for an airstrike by a US Predator drone — and even if the go-ahead was finally given by CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, the Pakistanis still had to approve. “Since 9/11, with 99 per cent of these strikes, the Pakistanis were consulted and they have to approve them,” he said.

There has not been one credible lead on bin Laden in years. His nickname among some CIA hunters is Elvis because of all the bogus and fanciful sightings. The CIA has been successful in killing many of the senior al-Qaeda over the years but bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, are different cases.

Mr Keller believes bin Laden moves from village to village in Waziristan. He communicates perhaps just once a month, and by courier. He never uses a telephone. Mr Keller believes that bin Laden arrives in each village with a small group of bodyguards, when he will sit and talk to the local tribal leader. A large bribe is paid.

Bin Laden is then the guest of the village, where under Pashtun custom, he must be protected. The main obstacle in finding him, Mr Keller says, is that even if someone wanted to betray him — and collect the $25 million (£15 million) reward — there is no one to turn to. The local police know bin Laden is there. “If you report bin Laden’s location there is a good chance you will get killed,” Mr Keller says.

“People in a position to give information can’t get it to anyone.” Morale is still good among the hunters, he says, because many top al-Qaeda officials have been killed. So will bin Laden be caught? Mr Keller lets out a deep breath. “I don’t know.”

Former CIA agent's hunt for bin Laden in Pakistani badlands - Times Online

Well, i guess he can caught only by trapping all routes of Afghanistan and then ground invasion of Waziristan by Pakistan ARmy and on afghan end US army with full surv so that he does not hide somewhere in afghanistan but i find it hard to believe that he is still living in waziristan considering the kind of drone eye you have there...If he try to enter main pakistan from tribal areas will be caught in few seconds..there is no police in Wazrisitan hence in pakistan its called lawless areas.Previously in Pakistan people used to kill someone in main cities and then run to waziristan for years so that police can not catch them.

Written out of Washington, one doesn't expect much depth from it in any case. But the point about Pakistanis being in chareg should not surprise anyone. The local intelligence agencies have invested in cultivating sources and would not want to let go of them due to someone's gross foolhardiness.

Former CIA agent's hunt for bin Laden in Pakistani badlands

Tim Reid in Washington

It is dangerous work. In 2005 the CIA recruited a local mullah to go into Waziristan to report back on any Arabs in the area — a sign that bin Laden, a Saudi, could be near by. Days later the mullah was found on a roadside, beheaded, a message tucked into his shirt that this was the fate of spies.

So this proves that those beheaded by Taliban are indeed US spies ? Right. Ok now move on to other points .

The local police know bin Laden is there. “If you report bin Laden’s location there is a good chance you will get killed,” Mr Keller says.
:rofl: My gawwwwwwwd the local police even doesnt know where their own a$$ is how can they know where OBL is .

“People in a position to give information can’t get it to anyone.” Morale is still good among the hunters, he says, because many top al-Qaeda officials have been killed. So will bin Laden be caught? Mr Keller lets out a deep breath. “I don’t know.”
:agree: you can not catch illusions do you?

The agency is bringing back CIA retirees — a group known as The Cadre — many of whom are veterans who worked with the Afghan Mujahidin during the Soviet occupation in the 1980s.

heheheh Soviet occupation and the US one is not occupation right :no:

i wonder times online now have resorted to such childish imaginative pieces too?

From The Times

September 12, 2009

The day I met Osama bin Laden — and why he must be caught

Peter Bergen in Helmand

In March 1997, as a producer for CNN, I met Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan when I went to film his first television interview.

My colleagues and I saw the extraordinary lengths to which members of al-Qaeda went to protect their leader. We were taken to bin Laden’s hideout at night; we were made to change vehicles blindfolded; we were electronically swept for tracking devices, and we had to pass through three groups of guards armed with sub-machineguns.

The interview took place near the Tora Bora region of eastern Afghanistan, where, four years later, bin Laden would stage one of history’s great disappearing acts.

In a mud hut on a rocky plateau several thousand feet up, we waited for hours for bin Laden, while his bodyguards plied us with tea and what might have been goat meat. Most people will now know an awful lot more about bin Laden than I did then — which was only that an obscure Saudi dissident had recently declared holy war on the US and ran an organisation linked to anti-American attacks from Saudi Arabia to Somalia.

When he loomed out of the darkness my first impression was that he was tall, maybe 6ft 4in, and rail-thin, with the aquiline features of a Saudi prince. The entourage around him treated him with the utmost deference, referring to him as the sheikh.

Bin Laden made no effort at small talk, wanting to get the interview done as soon as possible. Peter Jouvenal, our British cameraman, remembers that bin Laden’s handshake was limp, like shaking a wet fish. I don’t recall shaking his hand but I do remember that he took frequent sips from a cup of tea, giving him an air that was more feline than fierce, and his blistering diatribe against the US for its policies in the Middle East was delivered in a barely audible whisper.

After an hour he was gone, as suddenly as he had arrived.

Bin Laden, it seems, had prepared for life as a fugitive for years, adopting a monk-like detachment from material comforts. Abdel Bari Atwan, a London-based Palestinian journalist who interviewed him in Afghanistan in 1996, recalls that dinner for bin Laden and several of his inner circle consisted of salty cheese, a potato, fried eggs and bread caked with sand.

Zaynab Khadr, whose family lived with the al-Qaeda leader in Afghanistan during the late 1990s, says that he did not even allow his children to drink cold water “because he wanted them to be prepared for the day when there’s no cold water”.

According to Noman Benotman, a Libyan who once fought alongside al-Qaeda, bin Laden once instructed his followers: “You should learn to sacrifice everything from modern life like electricity, air-conditioning, refrigerators, gasoline. If you are living the luxury life, it’s very hard to go to the mountains to fight.”

It is clear, however, from videotapes of bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, that they have not been slumming it in caves for the past eight years. In the tapes, their clothes are clean and pressed. The tapes are well lit and well shot, suggesting access to electricity or generators. In one of al-Zawahiri’s tapes from March 2006, there are curtains visible behind him.

The statements made by al-Qaeda leaders while they have been on the run have been surprisingly well informed about what was going on in the world.

In a 2004 video, bin Laden made a reference to the scene in Michael Moore’s film Fahrenheit 9/11 where President Bush continued to read a story about a goat to a kindergarten class after he had been informed that passenger jets had crashed into the twin towers.

In a 2007 tape bin Laden favourably mentioned the work of the left-wing American author Noam Chomsky.

For the most part, the tribal areas along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border are undeveloped but there are some larger towns that are more urbanised. Around these can be found tribal compounds that have access to modern amenities such as electricity. It is inside a couple of such compounds that al-Qaeda’s top leaders are probably hiding. The US has not had a solid lead on bin Laden since the battle of Tora Bora in the winter of 2001, when he escaped an operation involving thousands of Afghan fighters, about 50 US special forces troops and a dozen British commandos from the SBS. While there are informed hypotheses on his whereabouts, a US counterterrorism analyst said that there was “very limited collection on him personally”.

In other words, the usual sources, from intercepted conversations to human intelligence from spies, are yielding little or no information.

Given the difficulties of intelligence gathering and Pakistani opposition to having American boots on the ground, the US has made increasing use of its Predator and Reaper drones.

Officials from the Bush and Obama Administrations are wary of discussing the highly classified drone programme, but a window into their thinking was provided in a speech in Washington by Michael Hayden on November 13, 2008, when he was the head of the CIA.

“By making a safe haven feel less safe we keep al-Qaeda guessing. We make them doubt their allies, question their methods; their plans,” he said.

“We force them to spend more time and resources on self-preservation and that distracts them, at least partially and at least for a time, from laying the groundwork for the next attack.”

This strategy seems to have worked, at least in terms of the ability of al-Qaeda and other militant groups based in the tribal areas to plan or carry out attacks in the West.

No serious plots against US, British or other European targets have been uncovered that can be traceable back to militants who had received training in Pakistan’s tribal regions during the year since drone attacks were dramatically increased in the summer of 2008.

The conventional wisdom after the fall of the Taleban was that tracking bin Laden down would not make much of a difference to the larger War on Terror. At a March 2002 press conference, President Bush referred to bin Laden as “a person who’s now been marginalised”.

In 2005 the CIA even closed “Alec Station”, its dedicated bin Laden unit that had been given the mission of hunting al-Qaeda’s top leaders, and reassigned its analysts and officers to other counterterrorism missions. Senior CIA officials believed that al-Qaeda was no longer the hierarchical organisation it once had been.

Although it is the case that the global jihadist movement will carry on whatever bin Laden’s fate, it is quite wrong to assume it does not really matter whether he is apprehended.
First, there is the matter of justice for the people who died in the 9/11 attacks and for the thousands of other victims of al-Qaeda around the world. Second, every day that bin Laden remains at liberty is a propaganda victory for al-Qaeda. Third, although bin Laden and al-Zawahiri do not exert day-to-day control over al-Qaeda, statements from them are the most reliable guide to the future actions of jihadist movements around the world.

This remains the case even while both men are on the run.

Taking bin Laden alive is unlikely. His former bodyguard, Nasser al-Bahri, alias “Abu Jandal”, told the al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper: “Sheikh Osama gave me a pistol ... The pistol had only two bullets, for me to kill Sheikh Osama in case we were surrounded or he was about to fall into the enemy’s hands.”

In a tape posted to Islamist websites in February 2006, bin Laden confirmed his willingness to be martyred: “I have sworn to only live free. Even if I find bitter the taste of death, I don’t want to die humiliated or deceived.”

Peter Bergen is the author of The Osama bin Laden I Know: An Oral History of al-Qaeda’s Leader

Copyright 2009 Times Newspapers Ltd.

So this proves that those beheaded by Taliban are indeed US spies ? Right. Ok now move on to other points

I guess you consider the ISI as working for the U.S. to? after all it was their operatives killed.

I hope they catch the bastard and kill the sucker ! so many lives have been lost world wide cuz of this coward it would a great payback for those lives.

Red herring.
The real service to 9/11 victims is to uncover the full truth behind the event.
There are many Americans who haven't swallowed the blue pill.

Your comments here in this thread show your reprehensible attitude that truth is to be ignored and perverted so as to project your hatred. You couldn't possibly care about the victims of 9/11. Go away.

Your comments here in this thread show your reprehensible attitude that truth is to be ignored and perverted so as to project your hatred. You couldn't possibly care about the victims of 9/11. Go away.

Spare me your sanctimonious diatribe.
As stated, there are many people who don't buy the official 9/11 explanation.

To hide behind the 9/11 victims to try and silence any dissent is pathetic.

Spare me your sanctimonious diatribe.
As stated, there are many people who don't buy the official 9/11 explanation.

To hide behind the 9/11 victims to try and silence any dissent is pathetic.

I am not trying to silence dissent. I'm not hiding anywhere. I am just expressing my own opinion about your "dissent". It is obvious that this kind of hateful "dissent" will be used as a political weapon, forever. But, it is STILL reprehensible.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom