What's new

Mirage III / V of Pakistan Air Force

tbh it's really hard for me to see the PAF replace the Mirage ROSE-series anytime soon. It's not that they can't get new and equally (if not more) capable aircraft. I think the JF-17B and Block-3 are at that level. However, the Mirage ROSE-series are innately so good that I'd rather keep them flying if it means we build net-gains (via JF-17s).

IMO, the best aircraft to ultimately replace the ROSE-series is the NGFA (with AHQ aiming for a twin-engine design). That's the only scenario where I can feel the PAF gets major net-gains in its capabilities if it removes the ROSE-series.
Probably to be assigned to existing or nee squadrons as the Thunder comes up. So on paper the number of squadrons will remain the same but these will be super-squadrons with 25+ aircraft

Probably to be assigned to existing or nee squadrons as the Thunder comes up. So on paper the number of squadrons will remain the same but these will be super-squadrons with 25+ aircraft
Could they become dedicated nuclear attack units? It sounds like a feasible role for a sunset fighter (after the JF-17B and/or Block-3 take up the conventional SOW work).

1641655699040.png

tbh it's really hard for me to see the PAF replace the Mirage ROSE-series anytime soon. It's not that they can't get new and equally (if not more) capable aircraft. I think the JF-17B and Block-3 are at that level. However, the Mirage ROSE-series are innately so good that I'd rather keep them flying if it means we build net-gains (via JF-17s).

IMO, the best aircraft to ultimately replace the ROSE-series is the NGFA (with AHQ aiming for a twin-engine design). That's the only scenario where I can feel the PAF gets major net-gains in its capabilities if it removes the ROSE-series.
I think rose II III mirage5 will stay since they are optimized for strike and PAC may have ample spares to keep it running at expense of non rose mirages

ROSE will keep flying for almost a decade ...one, that the PAC has mastered the art of keeping it flying, second, it has been integrated with all the stand-off munitions and unlike F-16; it has shown our neighbor its ground attack ability. Also, PAF will keep a squadron of Mirages no matter what. So they will select the best pieces in the batch.

Mirage IIIEA
Reg.: 90-565
📸
Hamid Faraz

500 series, ex-Royal Australian Air Force (ROSE upgraded).
Australia replaced the Mirage IIIO/OD, replacement (the F/A-18A/B 'Hornet') recently with the F-35A 'Lightening II'.

1641668698851.png

I am surprised that even after working on these planes for over 40 years, we have not learn how to build the frame.

I am surprised that even after working on these planes for over 40 years, we have not learn how to build the frame.

Exactly - or did anything useful interms of upgrades like the Israeli's did with theirs but instead did minor ROSE based upgrades by SAGEM. Also it was odd that Pakistan had to go out ot the world to buy old retired relics to scavenge spare parts versus building them, themselves, eg Wing replacements is a good example of PAC should have been able to build inhouse and use but lacked the imagination to do that ..

It took the JF17 to get its act together and even then - only to 58% of the airframe !!!!!!! ( why stop at 58% and not negiotate for 100%? We are talking about the airframe here - not the other stuff that people might think is sensitive ) ..

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom