What's new

MA700 turboprop resurfaces in China with chatter about a secret first flight

Beast

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

I believe the substitution turboprop engine is WJ-6C turboprop( 5100shp ). The fact of first flight is so low key is becos WJ-6C is a military engine. MA700 supposed to be a civilian project. But I believe WJ-6C is just a temporary solution until a domestic turboprop is ready.

If it is true.

It could probably be fitted with AECC AEP500 turboprop running on a concurrency program.

Forced upon China by Canada.

That is why there are so much secrecy in its initial test flight. :coffee:

I believe the substitution turboprop engine is WJ-6C turboprop( 5100shp ). The fact of first flight is so low key is becos WJ-6C is a military engine. MA700 supposed to be a civilian project. But I believe WJ-6C is just a temporary solution until a domestic turboprop is ready.

In fact I don't rate this report very much reliable especially since this particular airframe is the static test prototype and not the flying one.

In fact I don't rate this report very much reliable especially since this particular airframe is the static test prototype and not the flying one.
First flight of this plane is quote from some prominent Chinese aviation watcher. They never show the photo but mention first flight has conducted. Big reason why this photo show becos actual footage of the flight never released.

Same as tengyun project. Reported by China state media but no photo shown becos it's too sensitive.
If it is true.

It could probably be fitted with AECC AEP500 turboprop running on a concurrency program.

Forced upon China by Canada.

That is why there are so much secrecy in its initial test flight. :coffee:
AEP500 unlikely to be ready for first flight. WJ-6C spec is much closer and can be the credible replacement. But the oil consumption and noise level need further refined.

First flight of this plane is quote from some prominent Chinese aviation watcher. They never show the photo but mention first flight has conducted. Big reason why this photo show becos actual footage of the flight never released.

Same as tengyun project. Reported by China state media but no photo shown becos it's too sensitive.

AEP500 unlikely to be ready for first flight. WJ-6C spec is much closer and can be the credible replacement. But the oil consumption and noise level need further refined.

For the tengyun I would agree even if here I think it was at best a test and not the real one ... but why should a regional airliner be sensitive?

For the tengyun I would agree even if here I think it was at best a test and not the real one ... but why should a regional airliner be sensitive?
Becos they used a military engine. It might give US and EU an excuse to discourage buying it.

Becos they used a military engine. It might give US and EU an excuse to discourage buying it.

Turboprop airliners are not really accepted anymore by the US public as a means of travel other than some small regional airlines in remote places like Alaska that do short hops.

Probably 99% of people would be in shock if they saw a turboprop passenger plane pull up to the gate..and likely ask for a ticket refund. A similar reaction would be like pulling a 1950's passenger train into a HSR station in China.

While the vast majority of people have been on jet planes I bet only 1% of them have been on a turboprop.

Edit: yep, i was correct. They are gone.
"Of course, if you’re nostalgic for the sensation of cramped, bumpy, low-altitude flight, there are still a number of smaller US airlines flying prop-driven aircraft, including Alaska Airlines and Cape Air, whose smallest plane is a nine-seat Cessna."

Last edited:
Turboprop airliners are not really accepted anymore by the US public as a means of travel other than some small regional airlines in remote places like Alaska that do short hops.

Probably 99% of people would be in shock if they saw a turboprop passenger plane pull up to the gate..and likely ask for a ticket refund. A similar reaction would be like pulling a 1950's passenger train into a HSR station in China.

While the vast majority of people have been on jet planes I bet only 1% of them have been on a turboprop.

Edit: yep, i was correct. They are gone.
"Of course, if you’re nostalgic for the sensation of cramped, bumpy, low-altitude flight, there are still a number of smaller US airlines flying prop-driven aircraft, including Alaska Airlines and Cape Air, whose smallest plane is a nine-seat Cessna."
I think China is not targeting US with this plane. But just more to do with approval of FAA so that it can do sold in south America countries.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom