What's new

Gun owners thread

siegecrossbow

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
China
Gun owners who happens to own firearms of any form (16th century matchlocks included) please feel free to post in this thread.

p.s. I am not a gun owner myself. Just interested in older firearms (especially the mechanism).

@siegecrossbow if this off topic let me know ... i will delete this

can any one tell me ..... in the older days when a archer was 10 times efficient than a musketeer... how did the rifle get popular than a bow and arrow

I want to own a gun but I don't just want one of those regular hunting rifles.

When I get enough money I think I'll get the SCAR MK 16 civilian

SCAR%20MK16-resized-600.jpg

Funny you should mention that, in the drawer in the other room, is an .44 Navy 1851 Colt, loaded. (and yes, it is a reproduction)

I want to own a gun but I don't just want one of those regular hunting rifles.

When I get enough money I think I'll get the SCAR MK 16 civilian

SCAR%20MK16-resized-600.jpg

My closest is a Russian made SKS, from 1951 (better stock than most you get these days, plus sword not spike bayonet) I have a composite carbon replacement stock that looks badass, but I prefer the original wood.

My closest is a Russian made SKS, from 1951 (better stock than most you get these days, plus sword not spike bayonet) I have a composite carbon replacement stock that looks badass, but I prefer the original wood.

How much did that cost?

How much did that cost?

Got both* for $300, from a friend under the table. Was living in Cali at the time, and they were technicaly illegal there. (the state gov. didn't have a clue what an assualt rifle was, so they were banned. It's a fricken carbine!)

*rifle and extra stock

Got both for $300, from a friend under the table. Was living in Cali at the time, and they were technicaly illegal there. (the state gov. didn't have a clue what an assualt rifle was, so they were banned. It's a fricken carbine!)

Nice. The SCAR does seem kind of expensive now. Now thats a assault rifle. But this is West Virginia

@siegecrossbow if this off topic let me know ... i will delete this

can any one tell me ..... in the older days when a archer was 10 times efficient than a musketeer... how did the rifle get popular than a bow and arrow

First of all there is a distinction between smoothbore muskets/arquebuses and rifles. Rifles have rifled barrel that spins the round during flight and gives it greater accuracy and stability.

As for why the matchlocks replaced the bows in Europe. The primary reason is that musketeers are way easier to train than archers. The average longbow archer starts at the age of around 7/8 and they have to dedicate a tremendous amount of time to honing their craft. You can give any old peasant a musket and expect him to point and shoot (accuracy wasn't too big of an issue when one large formation faced the other) pretty well within a month or so.

In the 17th century larger bore firearms like the musket appeared and they had far greater penetrating power than the arquebus that preceded them. This led to a decline in plate armour during the late 17th century.

Lol, my father had these when I was young, lovem. (Black powder, percussion cap, 6 shot) Used to have the old Army model too.

Question about the percussion cap used. Do you guys just yank them off cartridges or is there a place where they actually manufacture them?

Nice. The SCAR does seem kind of expensive now. Now thats a assault rifle. But this is West Virginia

What are the gun laws there? Liberal here in Texas, not so much when I was in Cali.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Question about the percussion cap used. Do you guys just yank them off cartridges or is there a place where they actually manufacture them?

Lol, buy them in any gun shop, they come in a little round tin like mints!
(the ones from cartriges are too small, plus they have phlanges that stick out, helps with removal)

Pretty loose gun laws. Still semi auto but that's what they're used in most of the time in military applications as well.

What are the gun laws there? Liberal here in Texas, not so much when I was in Cali.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Lol, buy them in any gun shop, they come in a little round tin like mints!
(the ones from cartriges are too small, plus they have phlanges that stick out, helps with removal)

Gotcha. Learn something new everyday. Guess the flintlock owners got the better deal since it probably takes a while for the stone to grind down :D.

Back
Top Bottom