What's new

Bangladesh's GDP, including informal economy, expected to reach $1.577 trillion by end of ‘23

IndianLite

Reaction score
Country
United States

The gap between “shadow economy” and “official economy” is wider in Bangladesh than it is in India and Pakistan.

The main reason is the rampant corruption in Bangladesh.

Due to demonetisation, Modi has almost eliminated the black economy.

Large parts of Pakistan’s economy is run by its military - due to which Pakistan also has a smaller shadow economy.

This is also supported by the low ranking of Bangladesh in various corruption indexes.

Btw, high corruption does not hamper economic growth but it does blight every day life. E.g. under military rule - you will enjoy lower petty corruption but you will not see much economic progress.

Very similar tradeoff to environmental pollution.

1690916472078.png

Indian economy in PPP is half of the Chinese economy by this graphic.

View attachment 943234

Indian economy in PPP is half of the Chinese economy by this graphic.

Yes!

Btw, I am not a fan of PPP.

you cannot buy iPhones, take a holiday or buy oil with PPP.

True sign of a healthy middle class is nominal dollar based GDP.

Most essentials in India are significantly cheaper than they are in Bangladesh.

Yes!

Btw, I am not a fan of PPP.

you cannot buy iPhones, take a holiday or buy oil with PPP.

True sign of a healthy middle class is nominal dollar based GDP.

Most essentials in India are significantly cheaper than they are in Bangladesh.

Goes both ways.

PPP is better measurements for certain economic acitivity, while GDP nominal better for other sectors of economy.

The gap between “shadow economy” and “official economy” is wider in Bangladesh than it is in India and Pakistan.

The main reason is the rampant corruption in Bangladesh.

Due to demonetisation, Modi has almost eliminated the black economy.

Large parts of Pakistan’s economy is run by its military - due to which Pakistan also has a smaller shadow economy.

This is also supported by the low ranking of Bangladesh in various corruption indexes.

Btw, high corruption does not hamper economic growth but it does blight every day life. E.g. under military rule - you will enjoy lower petty corruption but you will not see much economic progress.

Very similar tradeoff to environmental pollution.
I don't trust the GDP figures they have presented here. Because informal economy is not taken into consideration in formal economic calculations.

I don't trust the GDP figures they have presented here. Because informal economy is not taken into consideration in formal economic calculations.
When most people in a country work in the informal economy - informal economy is more important.

This is what India found to its cost during covid. Their covid strategy was based on calculations based on formal economy - made stupid decisions based on that - result millions of people stranded on the roadside.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom