What's new

Unidentified Aircraft Strike Tripoli a Third Time

Frogman

SENIOR MEMBER
May 16, 2013
2,751
11
3,873
Country
Egypt
Location
Egypt
Another mystery jet bombs Libya Dawn positions, reports
#LibyaCrisis
Reports indicate that a third aerial assault on anti-government militias has happened in one month

e52b19ded273d9a93d29c40354faf826.jpg

Smoke billows over the horizon in Libya (AFP)

An unidentified military jet launched an air strike on Monday against a military base in western Libya held by anti-government militias, Libyan media reported.

The raid hit a munitions depot held by a militia in the town of Gharyan, southwest of the capital, state news agency LANA reported.

Last month forces belonging to the mostly Islamist Fajr Libya (Libya Dawn) alliance were targeted by warplanes near Tripoli airport before they defeated nationalist militia rivals at the site. Washington initially said that the UAE and Egypt were behind the night raids, but later backtracked on its comments. The August raid followed a similar incident on 18 August, which was eventually claimed by rogue general Khalifah Haftar although Libya Dawn sources also blamed outside powers for the strike.

Monday's strike left "a number of casualties" LANA said without elaborating, while private television station al-Nabaa said 11 people were wounded.

Militias in Gharyan are members of the Libya Dawn alliance which rejects the legitimacy of the elected parliament and blames it for allegedly allowing air raids to be carried out against its fighters at the airport.

The government, in turn, has accused Sudan and Qatar of supplying weapons to its Islamist opponents.

"Unfortunately they [the planes] reached [Tripoli] Matiga airport," Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni told UAE-based Sky News Arabia.

"We will consider ... breaking off relations if this interference into Libya's internal affairs continued."

He added: "We confirm that we have official reports that these war planes carried weapons and ammunition. What does Qatar want to give to the Libyan people?"

Tensions have been at boiling point for months. The violence has pushed the HoR to relocate to Tobruk 1,500 kilometres east of Tripoli while a rival parliament in Tripoli - based on the previous General National Congress - continues to meet in Tripoli and accused the HoR of favouring the so-called nationalist militias and siding with Haftar against Libya Dawn.

Another mystery jet bombs Libya Dawn positions, reports | Middle East Eye


Former Libyan general claims new air strike in western Libya
BY AYMAN AL-WARFALLI AND AHMED ELUMAMI

BENGHAZI Libya Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:09pm BST


(Reuters) - Forces loyal to former Libyan army general Khalifa Haftar claimed an air strike on an armed group near Tripoli on Monday, a senior commander said, in what would be the first air strikes in western Libya for three weeks.

A resident of Gharyan town, south of Tripoli, heard jets attacking targets. Arab TV channel al-Arabiya also reported a strike on Gharyan positions of an Islamist-leaning group from the western city of Misrata, which seized Tripoli last month.

War planes attacked Misrata forces in August just before they took the capital. Haftar also claimed that attack, but U.S. officials said the planes belonged to the United Arab Emirates and Egypt - two Arab countries which have cracked down on Islamists such as the Muslim Brotherhood, which has ties to the Misrata forces.

Three years after the ousting of Muammar Gaddafi, Libya is divided. The government and elected parliament have relocated to Tobruk in the far east since losing control of the capital, and a rival assembly and government has been set up by the Misrata force in Tripoli.

Haftar emerged as a renegade commander fighting Islamists but has recently entered into a frail alliance with the government in Tobruk, part of the chaos and ever-changing alliances in post-Gaddafi Libya.

"We attacked positions of the Libya Dawn," Saqer al-Jouroushi, Haftar's air defence commander, told Reuters. He was referring to the Misrata-led alliance which took Tripoli.

"They conducted air strikes on our revolutionaries", a Gharyan city official close to the Misrata forces said, accusing Egypt and the UAE of being behind the attacks.

However, analysts doubt that Haftar can conduct air strikes with planes from his bases in the east as Libya has only a tiny and outdated air force damage during the 2011 civil war.

Diplomats say Libya is turning into a conflict zone for competing regional powers as the country faces the prospect of becoming a failed state or even descending into civil war.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni said Qatar, which has backed the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, sent three military planes loaded with weapons to a Tripoli airport controlled by the Misrata forces. The government had already accused Sudan of having tried to arm the opposition group.

Libya's government is unable to control dozens of former rebel groups who helped topple Gaddafi but now fight each other for power and a share of oil resources. The fluid situation in Tripoli has been worsened by a separate battle in the eastern city of Benghazi between the army and Haftar's forces in spite of their loose alliance.

Haftar forces has threatened to bomb Benghazi's port unless authorities there closed it to cut off arms supplies to Islamists, Jouroushi said.

"We will bomb any ship approaching the coast and hold the port director responsible for it," Jouroushi said. Ansar al-Sharia had used the port to get ammunition and weapons, he said.

Libya's neighbours and European nations have been trying to bring the waring parties together to find a political solution. Algeria said it was willing to host a reconciliation conference.

"Our Libyans brothers are welcome in Algeria if they deem that Algeria is the ideal place to launch the unification process to build a better future," Algerian Foreign Minister Ramtane Lamamra told reporters in Algiers.

(Reporting0f19c9f479bdc177b6a3970c2d2abf44.png by Ayman al-Warfalli, Feras Bosalum, Ulf Laessing, Ahmed Elumami and Hamid Ould Ahmed; Writing by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Ralph Boulton and Sonya Hepinstall)

Another mystery jet bombs Libya Dawn positions, reports | Middle East Eye
 
Saudis training on Libyans, after they pass the test, Iraq may allow them to use their aircrafts against ISIS.
 
I am pretty sure it was Algerian air raid, once again ;)
Not this time...

it was forces allied with Haftar...If it was Algeria, they will have done it at night to avoid civilian casualties. After the second raid, most of the rebel forces moved east to Benghazi..
 
An unidentified military jet launched an air strike on Monday against a military base in western Libya

That is the Algerian side, So it is most probably from southern Italy where NATO has bases.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Back
Top Bottom