What's new

UN Says Regained Access to Key Wheat Silos in Hodeidah

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 13, 2012
32,318
21
33,935
Country
Canada
Location
Canada
Sunday, 5 May, 2019 - 11:30
20190324t111920-1553419160123788500.jpg

In this file photo taken on June 22, 2018 Yemenis unload sacks of food aid for the displaced from the province of Hodeida in the northern district of Abs - AFP

Asharq Al-Awsat

The UN food agency said it has regained access to major grain storage in the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah for the first time since February.

World Food Program (WFP) spokesman Herve Verhoosel says a technical team accessed the Red Sea mills facility Sunday, where some 51,000 metric tons of wheat — enough to feed 3.7 million people for a month — had been in storage when the site was rendered inaccessible in September, the Associated Press reported.

Houthis previously blocked access, preventing WFP from crossing a front line into the government-controlled area where the silos are located.

According to Reuters, the 51,000 tonnes of wheat were at risk of rotting.

Meanwhile, a WFP technical team arrived in the eastern outskirts of Hodeidah on Sunday to start preparing and servicing equipment for milling grain.

Verhoosel said its priority was to begin cleaning and servicing milling machinery and fumigating the wheat.

The UN expects that process to take several weeks before starting to mill it into flour and distributing it to the Yemeni communities most in need, Reuters reported.


https://aawsat.com/english/home/article/1708926/un-says-regained-access-key-wheat-silos-hodeidah
 
It is clear now who is behind the Yemenis' famine and disease..
Don't read much on Alsharq-Al-Awsat .
Let me direct the situation for you .
UN had access to the grains stored there then come the KSA and co invasion so the UN lost access to the grains stored there. Now the situation is somehow calmer and they get access.

It's from euronews and paint the situation in far more clear light than the joke called All-Sharq-Al-Awsat.
https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/02...-to-hodeidah-mills-for-safety-reasons-sources
"The Houthis argued that government forces will target the U.N. and then they will be blamed for it," one source aware of the discussion said. "
But talks aimed at securing a mutual military withdrawal from Hodeidah have stalled despite U.N. efforts to salvage the deal and nudge both sides to agree on steps towards disengagement after four years of war.

Under the deal, the government retreat would free up access to the Red Sea Mills and humanitarian corridors would also be reopened. The warring sides would still need to agree on which road could be used to transport supplies from the site to needy recipients.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom