What's new

U.S., Kuwait pledge over $1 billion towards Syria crisis

Hindustani78

BANNED
Apr 8, 2014
40,470
-47
12,842
Country
India
Location
India
Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45am EDT
Related: World, United Nations, Syria
U.S., Kuwait pledge over $1 billion towards Syria crisis| Reuters


(Reuters) - The United States pledged $507 million and Kuwait promised $500 million towards easing Syria's humanitarian crisis at an international summit in the Kuwaiti capital on Tuesday.

The United Nations, which is holding the summit, says aid is needed to help 18 million people both in Syria and scattered through the region by more than four years of civil war, as well as the countries and communities struggling to host them.

The United Arab Emirates said it was providing $100 million and Saudi Arabia pledged an additional $60 million.

Some 200,000 people have died and nearly half the Syrian population has been displaced by the conflict that began with anti-government protests in 2011 and spiraled into full-scale civil war. The number of people needing humanitarian aid has increased by 2.9 million in just 10 months.

Nearly 80 governments and dozens of aid agencies are meeting in Kuwait for the U.N. summit. They hope to collect major pledges towards an $8.4 billion appeal for Syria.

Although the response to the first annual conference in Kuwait in 2013 exceeded the $1.5 billion requested, last year's conference only secured pledges of $2.4 billion towards a $6.5 billion appeal.

The U.S. pledge was announced by its ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, while Kuwait's pledge was made by Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah, who said the money would come from the public and private sectors.

(Reporting By Ahmed Hagagy, Noah Browning and Omar Fahmy; Editing by John Stonestreet, Larry King and Crispian Balmer)

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon (3rd L) stands with Kuwait Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khaled al-Sabah (4th left) for a photo ahead of the Third International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria in Bayan Palace March 31,...
Reuters/Stephanie McGehee
r

U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations Samatha Power attends the Third International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria in Bayan Palace March 31, 2015.
Reuters/Stephanie McGehee
r

Kuwait Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah (R) and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon (L) attend the Third International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria in Bayan Palace March 31, 2015.
Reuters/Stephanie McGehee
r

United Arab Emirate’s Minister of Development and International Cooperation Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi attends the Third International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria in Bayan Palace March 31, 2015.
Reuters/Stephanie McGehee

r
 
meanwhile in Detroit

0718_detroit_630x420.jpg





America First :D

the world doesn't care about our two faced money


$507 million aid but then we are spending $$billions to arm/train terrorists who displace and kill these same civilians.

the irony.
 
meanwhile in Detroit

0718_detroit_630x420.jpg





America First :D

the world doesn't care about our two faced money


$507 million aid but then we are spending $$billions to arm/train terrorists who displace and kill these same civilians.

the irony.


I think that money will go from Arab countries only
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Back
Top Bottom