What's new

Tit-for-tat: Sri Lanka considers nuclear deal with Pakistan

MM_Haider

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Tit-for-tat: Sri Lanka considers nuclear deal with Pakistan – The Express Tribune

Sri Lanka is considering a nuclear pact with Pakistan after India voted against it at the UN this year, the Hindustan Times reported on Sunday.
According to the report, the Sri Lanka government is dragging its feet on a similar pact with India by not scheduling talks despite New Delhi’s keenness to conclude the agreement soon.
India had offered Sri Lanka a comprehensive nuclear pact that would deal with all aspects of civil nuclear cooperation, including safety and training of professionals. One round of talks was held in October last year, and India also sent Sri Lanka a draft of the pact.

No further development has taken place since and New Delhi has been waiting for a Lankan response on dates for talks.
The report cites sources as saying that foreign secretary-level talks between Sri Lanka and Pakistan have identified civil nuclear technology as a major area of cooperation. Statements made by Lankan authorities show their intent to negotiate nuclear deals with both India and Pakistan, it adds.
India’s second vote against Sri Lanka on the Tamil issue at the UN human rights council in March this year upset the country. Of the 25 countries that voted against Sri Lanka, only India and South Korea were from Asia. Thirteen members, including Pakistan and China, voted against the resolution and eight abstained. India had voted against Sri Lanka in 2012 as well.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 15th, 2013.

Sri Lanka is considering a nuclear pact with Pakistan after India voted against it at the UN this year.

The Sri Lanka government is dragging its feet on a similar pact with India by not scheduling talks despite New Delhi’s keenness to conclude the agreement soon.

The report cites sources as saying that foreign secretary-level talks between Sri Lanka and Pakistan have identified civil nuclear technology as a major area of cooperation. Statements made by Lankan authorities show their intent to negotiate nuclear deals with both India and Pakistan, it adds.

Sri Lanka’s overtures to Pakistan are of concern to India, which sees its western neighbour as a country “with dubious non-proliferation records”. It also has issues with Colombo overlooking its intention to give it the best possible deal. :P

Sri Lanka in nuclear talks with Pakistan

Civil nuke tech? But isn't Pakistan themselves seeking it from China?

SL could just approach the Chinese for reactors.

:what:

Already posted.

anyway good. Sri Lanka must learn the game of using its strategic location for reaping more benefits.

What strategic location?

Srilanka in next to India and there no other country after that, One good port in India and Srilanka suffers. Anyway we have no plans for that. Indian investments are in top three of Srilanka.

The nuclear deal is from China through Pakistan. But I think India already offered the nuke deal and tech for Srilanka. I don't think they will go for chinese nuke tech. when the power plant built by china is not working properly.

What strategic location?

Srilanka in next to India and there no other country after that, One good port in India and Srilanka suffers. Anyway we have no plans for that. Indian investments are in top three of Srilanka.

The nuclear deal is from China through Pakistan. But I think India already offered the nuke deal and tech for Srilanka. I don't think they will go for chinese nuke tech. when the power plant built by china is not working properly.

:) SL is strategically more important than India for many even for India itself. You know otherwise India would NOT have invested/funded LTTE terrorism there.

Secondly Chinese power and nuke plants are enough trusted to give India sleepless nights whenever there is new or another nuclear reactor for Pakistan by China.

Hence i take your comments based on your frustration.

Its a golden chance Sri Lanka must for full Chinese block and get as much as it can.

The Pak-Sri Lanka cooperation has been increasing many folds since the past few years. After the LTTE, we continued to provide them small arms ammo and other stuff, then the recent visit to Sri Lankan Military Academy by the COAS.

Civil nuke tech? But isn't Pakistan themselves seeking it from China?

SL could just approach the Chinese for reactors.

:what:

What strategic location?

Obviously it seems they are asking for a (non) Civil nuclear tech.

Is this some satire ?? I am not sure if Pakistan has civilian nuclear technology. Pakistan itself it seeking it from China !

Pakistan does not have technology to build nuclear reactors for power generation.
I don't know what SL is getting from Pakistan in this so called 'nuclear pact'.

Back
Top Bottom