What's new

The big Middle East Football - thread

ResurgentIran

Reaction score
I kindly ask the moderators to sticky this thread, if no one else object.
Football is very popular in ME and in the forum too I suspect. I think this should be the collective thread for all international and regional tournaments, involving Middle Eastern countries.

What we have upcoming is the AFC U22 Championship, in two weeks. Host country is Oman.

The 2013 AFC U-22 Championship (also known as the 2013 AFC U-22 Asian Cup) will be the first edition of the AFC U-22 Championship. The hosting rights for the tournament was awarded to Oman. It was set to take place between 23 June and 7 July 2013 but was later confirmed to be held between 11 and 26 January 2014.[1][2]

Qualified teams:
Australia
China
Iran
Iraq
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Myanmar
North Korea
Oman
Saudi Arabia
South Korea
Syria
UAE
Uzbekistan
Yemen

Group A:
Oman
Jordan
South Korea
Myanmar

Group B:
North Korea
UAE
Syria
Yemen

Group C:
Iran
Japan
Australia
Kuwait

Group D:
Iraq
Saudi Arabia
Uzbekistan
China

2013 AFC U-22 Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good thread. Let us move our past discussions to this thread if possible.

Anyway speaking about youth tournaments hosted in the Middle East then UAE hosted the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup this October and November and Nigeria were crowned the champions after beating Mexico in the final. Sweden ended as third.

2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL, can't speak for the non-Arab countries in the Middle East but football is BY FAR (I am screaming right now) the most popular sport. Not even comparable with any other.

Preparations of U-22 Championship in full swing
Details
Published: 26 December 2013
u-22_draw_3x2.jpg
Muscat: The preparations for the AFC Under-22 Championship 2013 that will be hosted by Oman next month are going on in full swing, the local organisers confirmed on Wednesday.

Speaking to the local media in Muscat, Khalid Hamad Hamood Al Busaidi, President of the Oman Football Association (OFA) said his team is working hard to make the tournament a grand success.

"This is a great championship that the country will be hosting and for us this is going to be a challenging task but our team is working hard to ensure the success of the tournament," Al Busaidi was quoted as saying to the Times of Oman.

AFC President Shaikh Salman Al Khalifa will be the guest for the final along with other 64 delegations from AFC.

"That shows the importance of the tournament. A number of football federation heads will also be coming for the event," he informed. The championship which will have 16 teams including host Oman will be held from January 11 to 26 at three venues in the country.

The matches will be held at Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex in Bausher, Royal Oman Police (ROP) Stadium in Wattayah and Seeb Sports Complex.

Apart from the six other venues that include SQSC, Muscat Club, Ahli-Sidab Club, Bausher Club and two grounds at Sultan Qaboos University will be used as training centres for the participating teams.

The Asian Football Confederation - Preparations of U-22 Championship in full swing

The next edition of AFC U22 Championship will serve as the qualification route to the 2016 Olympics, where the 4 semifinalists will be qualified.
So this year, not so much is at stake, but still interesting and important tournament.

I think Iraq favorite to win the tournament. Especially if they invite some of their youngsters that have experience in the senior team and Olympic team, and from the U20 players that did extraordinary in the recent U20 World Cup, like Ali Adnan etc.

I think Iraq favorite to win the tournament. Especially if they invite some of their youngsters that have experience in the senior team and Olympic team, and from the U20 players that did extraordinary in the recent U20 World Cup, like Ali Adnan etc.

Very possible. I do not know much about youth football to be honest. Don't follow any for real. Only finals of some of the main tournaments.

Don't forget UAE man. They did a good job in the Olympics in 2012. Their senior team is very strong.

They also have David Luiz's younger brother causing havoc.

Omar Abdulrahman Ahmed Al Raaki Al Amood

Or just Omar Abdulrahman:sarcastic:
Omar Abdulrahman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2u5s5fo.jpg

533h2p.jpg

bhk1uq.jpg

Met the 3 Sideshow Bobs

:lol:

Last edited:
Very possible. I do not know much about youth football to be honest. Don't follow any for real. Only finals of some of the main tournaments.

Don't forget UAE man. They did a good job in the Olympics in 2012. Their senior team is very strong.

They also have David Luiz's younger brother causing havoc.

Omar Abdulrahman Ahmed Al Raaki Al Amood

Or just Omar Abdulrahman:sarcastic:
Omar Abdulrahman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2u5s5fo.jpg

533h2p.jpg

UAE is a rising football power and have surged into one of the top teams in Western Asia. Its a team I personally would like to avoid in official competition, in the future...
I think its not beyond the realm of possibility at all, that they could win the Asia Cup 2015. In fact, I think UAE is one the top 5 contenders, if I have to be honest with you. :/

Are you kidding?
Shoot on side we are the best
North or south or east or west
G.u.n.n.e.r.s
Gunners Kings of London

Arsenal are a OK club. No problem with them.

Then you must enjoy these two funny clips:

:D

On a more serious note though:

Last edited:
Arsenal are a OK club. No problem with them.
Then you must enjoy these two funny clips:
A little more than OK, I think.
Unfortunately, Youtube is filtered here, so I can't watch the clips,:(
How dare you. (Just in case if the clips are mockery, Since I can't watch them)8-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom