#BUSINESS NEWS
JANUARY 28, 2018 / 7:46 PM / 6 DAYS AGO
Saudi foreign reserves rise for third straight month
Reuters Staff
DUBAI (Reuters) - The Saudi Arabian central bank’s foreign reserves rose in December for a third consecutive month, a sign that higher oil prices may be easing pressure on the government’s finances, official data showed on Sunday.
The bank’s net foreign assets grew $2.0 billion from November to $488.9 billion last month, after increasing $1.0 billion in November and $8.3 billion in October. It was the first time since mid-2014 that the reserves have risen for three straight months.
The government has been using the reserves, which peaked at $737 billion in August 2014, to cover a big budget deficit caused by low oil export receipts.
The central bank did not explain the reasons for the December data, but a jump in oil prices to three-year highs has lifted revenues, and this may have reduced the need for the government to draw down the reserves - though not entirely removed it, as Riyadh is still running a deficit.
Other factors may also be responsible for the rise in reserves, such as changes in the pattern of transfers of money to Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, and weakness of the U.S. dollar, which boosts the non-dollar portion of the assets.
Also, the government launched a massive crackdown on corruption in November, saying it aimed to recover $100 billion of illicit funds in financial settlements with suspects. Some money from settlements may have bolstered the reserves.
The foreign assets, the vast majority of which are believed to be in U.S. dollars, are held mostly in the form of securities holdings and bank deposits. Securities holdings rose in December while deposits edged down.
Sunday’s data also showed outstanding bank loans to the private sector shrank 0.8 percent from a year earlier in December, the 10th straight month of falling bank lending.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-rise-for-third-straight-month-idUSKBN1FH0VE
Great news. 12 billion USD growth in 3 months time. The economy back on track, largest state budget ever, fourth least indebted country in the world, 130 billion USD returned during the corruption probe (more to come) etc. Not too bad and could be worse.
Detainees held at Saudi Arabia’s Ritz-Carlton released or moved, 56 remain in custody: Attorney General
ARAB NEWS | Published — Tuesday 30 January 2018
The Ritz Carlton in Riyadh (Reuters)
DUBAI: The Saudi Arabian Attorney General, Sheikh Saud Al-Mojeb, said on Tuesday that 56 corruption suspects remained in custody out of the 381 high profile figures detained on graft allegations.
He said he decided to release all those proven not guilty, as well as others who had agreed financial settlements with the government after admitting to corruption allegations.
Mojeb said the total settlements with the suspects had topped $130 billion, which came in various forms of assets.
News broke earlier on Tuesday that Saudi authorities had released all remaining detainees from Riyadh’s Ritz-Carlton Hotel, which had been used as an interrogation center in a crackdown on corruption, according to a Saudi official.
“There are no longer any detainees left at the Ritz-Carlton,” the official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity under briefing rules.
He did not say how many suspects remained in detention at other locations in Saudi Arabia. Some are believed to have been moved from the Ritz to prison after refusing to admit wrongdoing and reach financial settlements with the authorities.
He said those who remained in custody were still under investigation as the legal procedures continued.
Among top businessmen caught up in the purge were Prince Alwaleed, owner of global investor Kingdom Holding, and Waleed Al-Ibrahim, who controls influential regional broadcaster MBC.
MBC said the investigation found Ibrahim completely innocent of wrongdoing and Prince Alwaleed has insisted he is innocent, although Saudi officials said both men agreed to settlements after admitting unspecified “violations.”
In an interview with Reuters at his suite in the Ritz-Carlton hours before he was released on Saturday, Prince Alwaleed said he had been well-treated in custody and described his case as the result of a misunderstanding.
He showed off the comforts of his suite’s gold-accented private office, a dining room and a kitchen which was fully stocked with his preferred vegetarian meals.
The hotel has 492 guest rooms and suites and 52 acres (21 hectares) of landscaped gardens, according to its website. It has said it will reopen to the public in mid-February, with a nightly rate for its cheapest room of $650.
(With AFP and Reuters)
http://www.arabnews.com/node/1235891/saudi-arabia
WEF = World Economic Forum.
https://twitter.com/wef
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenr...et-is-the-countrys-largest-ever/#3e6a94475e29
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-austerity-drive-in-2018-budget-idUSKBN1ED2FB