What's new

South Korea Defence Forum

lol, he's been rather benign lately. Maybe the time off calmed him a bit. :)

Yeah, haven't seen him around all that much (why I made the comment) He won't admit it, but I'm one of his favorite American imperialists :lol:

Yeah, haven't seen him around all that much (why I made the comment) He won't admit it, but I'm one of his favorite American imperialists :lol:

The way he writes, I don't even think he's even Han Chinese. He writes like an American (minus his anti-American posits) ; but his sentence formation and even slang phrases he writes here and there --- only an American would write like that.

1633333_-_main.jpg

South Korea's mid-term defence plan for 2016-20 compared with IHS Jane's Defence Budget projections. (IHS Jane's Defence Budgets)
The Korean Ministry of National Defense (MND) has announced that defence spending is expected to increase by an average of 7.2% a year between 2016 and 2020, with total funding of KRW232.5 trillion (USD215.5 billion) allocated for the period.

According to details released by the MND on 21 April the new Mid-Term Defence Plan 2016-20 operating expenses will account for KRW155.4 trillion, or 66.8% of total funding.

The remaining KRW77.1 trillion, or 33.2%, will be allocated for the modernisation of the South Korean armed forces. Based on these projections this latter funding, termed the Force Improvement budget by the MND, will increase proportionally in relation to overall defence expenditure. Since 2012 Force Improvement has accounted for an average of 31.1% of the military's budget.

Within this investment KRW6 trillion has been allocated for the 'Kill Chain' missile defence system, which aims to neutralise North Korean ballistic missiles via preemptive strikes as well as interception after launch. A further KRW2.7 trillion will be used to fund the Korea Air and Missile Defense (KAMD) system, which is intended to provide defence against ballistic missiles, aircraft, and cruise missiles.

The new strategy also outlines plans to increase research and development (R&D) expenditure - which forms part of the Force Improvement budget - from 6.5% in 2015 to 8.4% by 2020. If achieved this would make South Korea the second highest spender on defence R&D in the world - as a proportion of total defence spending - behind the United States.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(270 of 524 words)
South Korea announces plans to increase defence spending by 7.2% from 2016-20 - IHS Jane's 360

donga.com[English donga]

The Korean shipbuilding industry has regained No. 1 spot in new shipbuilding orders in country rankings during the first quarter of this year. The feat has been achieved, however, due to a deep slump of the Chinese shipbuilding industry stemming from a lackluster global shipbuilding market.

The combined global new shipbuilding order during the first quarter came to 5.62 million compensated gross tonnage (CGT) and 211 ships, according to Clarkson Research Services, a global shipbuilding market analysis agency. Korea accounted for 41 percent of the total by winning orders amounting to 2.31 million CGT (60 ships), followed by Japan with 28.9 percent (1.62 million CGT, 34 ships), and China with 24 percent (1.35 million CGT, 79 ships). This is the first time in three years since the first quarter of 2012 when the Korean shipbuilding industry rose to the top spot in terms of new order volume acquired. At that time, Korea acquired 2.22 million CGT, narrowly defeating China whose order volume was 2.02 million CGT.

Despite ranking first, the industry outlook remains uncertain amid the current sluggish demand in the shipbuilding market. The global shipbuilding order volume in the first quarter amounts to one third of that posted in the same period of last year (16.19 million CGT). The volume of Korea’s shipbuilding orders was cut in half, from 4.55 million CGT of last year to 231 million CGT this year.

Nonetheless, Korea ranked No. 1 due to a severe slump of the Chinese shipbuilding industry. With its flagship bulk ship market deteriorating, Chinese shipbuilders are even trailing Japan. Analysts say that Korea and Japan were able to perform relatively better than China, given the two nations` high-performance ship technology than the latter. Korea ranked second in new order volume after Japan in January, but outperformed Japan in February and March in succession to rank No. 1 in overall new orders in the first quarter.

Wow, amazing South Korea!!! A country with a small population of 50 people is doing amazingly good.
Daebak!!!!!!

Won't be for long.

China will regain this title and bury the South Korean shipbuilding industry.

The N.o1 and N.o2 shipbuilding nations just between South Korea and China, sometime is S.Korea sometime is China ...

Show your true flags man..

I've already mentioned plenty of time. I'm an honorary Vietnamese member of PDF, always here to talk the truth about my country and learn from other PDF friends. Currently I'm studying in another country away from home.

The N.o1 and N.o2 shipbuilding nations just between South Korea and China, sometime is S.Korea sometime is China ...

Right now Japan is no. 2 but not sure how long that will last cos they're not that far ahead of China. I'm just surprised that SK almost doubled China's current order, compared to a few years ago China was well on top.

Right now Japan is no. 2 but not sure how long that will last cos they're not that far ahead of China. I'm just surprised that SK almost doubled China's current order, compared to a few years ago China was well on top.
As a developed nation, S.Korea good at 1. Shipbuilding 2. Automobile 3. MicroElectronics ... make money from above three fields.

kai-kf16-_1442919089.jpg

KAI KF-16 Fighting Falcon

South Korean Air force has considered introducing Israel developed SPICE 2000 bomb guidance kits next year to enhance the attacking capability of KF-16 Fighting Falcons.

The Israeli guidance kit converts air-droppable unguided bombs into precision-guided ones, allowing users to attack targets that are out of their reach, Yonhap News Agency reported today.

"Since it enables KF-16s to drop bombs out of the range of an enemy's air defense weapons, it will help guarantee the survivability of KF-16s and mobilize fighter jets for long-distance attack operations," an Air Force official said.

The military forged the deal to purchase the bomb kits last November, and they will begin to be distributed to the Air Force in the first half of 2016.

The Air Force will also push to adopt live-fire exercises for KF-16 fighter jets so they can learn how to effectively use the new precision-guided missiles like the Taurus long-range air-to-surface missiles and the Cheongung surface-to-air missiles.

South Korea To Equip KF-16 Fighters With Israeli SPICE Bombs Guidance Kits

Back
Top Bottom