What's new

Militants Attack US Base in Afghanistan

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A group of suicide bombers attacked a U.S. base near the border with Pakistan on Monday morning, leading to multiple explosions, a gunfight and the closure of a key road used by NATO supply trucks, officials said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the strike in the Torkham area. In a statement, NATO confirmed "a series of explosions" in the area but said none of its personnel were killed. The military alliance does not release information on any of its troops who may have been wounded.

Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar province, said several suicide bombers staged the attack, and that Afghan and U.S. forces have been exchanging gunfire with the militants. He said NATO helicopters were flying over the base.

The highway between Jalalabad city and Torkham, an important route for NATO supply trucks, has been closed, Abdulzai said.

Militants on both sides of the Afghan border have frequently targeted the supply line, leading NATO to shift much of its supply delivery toward routes from Central Asian states instead of through Pakistan.

In an emailed statement, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the insurgent group was behind Monday morning's attack, and claimed they had destroyed several tanks in the process — an assertion that could not be confirmed.

The Taliban have escalated their attacks in recent weeks, a surge that comes as U.S.-led foreign troops reduce their presence in Afghanistan ahead of a full withdrawal by the end of next year

Militants Attack US Base in Afghanistan - ABC News

Taliban target U.S. army base in Afghanistan, attack ongoing

(Reuters) - Taliban fighters attacked part of a U.S. military outpost in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar on Monday, officials said, less than a week after targeting a Polish base in a nearby province.

Attacks on Afghan security forces and civilians have also mounted this week killing dozens and adding to fears the drawdown of foreign troops, most of whom are due to leave the country by the end of next year, is allowing insurgents to regain lost territory.

"In a parking lot used by Americans there was a huge blast and after that a massive attack... A number of our heroes are fighting," said Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid in an email.

The attack prompted police to shut part of a highway between the provincial capital and Torkham district near the border with Pakistan, a security source said. The base itself had not been penetrated.

No casualties had been reported, provincial spokesman Ahmad Zia Abdulzai said.

(Reporting by Rafiq Sherzad in NANGARHAR, Mirwais Harooni and Jessica Donati in KABUL; Editing by Nick Macfie)
Taliban target U.S. army base in Afghanistan, attack ongoing | Reuters

As the U.S leaves Afghanistan, Taliban's victory is becoming clearer and clearer and more clearer.....

Talibans are undoubtedly the toughest, most experienced, and biggest achieving insurgent group in history now...

Hope some political settlement is reached and Talibans become mainstream and drop their weapons...Afghans deserve to taste peace and prosperity...

As the U.S leaves Afghanistan, Taliban's victory is becoming clearer and clearer and more clearer.....

Talibans are undoubtedly the toughest, most experienced, and biggest achieving insurgent group in history now...

Hope some political settlement is reached and Talibans become mainstream and drop their weapons...Afghans deserve to taste peace and prosperity...
...and the most barbaric.

...and the most barbaric.

Yeah..I know.

They murdered millions of Vietnamese, Iraqis, Afghans, Koreans, Pakistanis, Yemenis, and exploited S.American countries for ages..causing poverty, death, and backwardness...

And this barbarity is just one side..the barbaric, uncivilized Talibans also interfered in other countries, and conducted regime change..Oppressing the voice of millions of human beings through Taliban imposed neo-colonialism...

Talibans have been the greatest evil of the post world-war II world...

Oh wait....nevermind.

:pop:

I guess you confused them with Uncle Sam - You know, the place where you are in now. :rofl:

Th only difference is this - They do it to protect their narrow national and corporate interests while the Talibans do it in the name of God.
Yeah..I know.

They murdered millions of Vietnamese, Iraqis, Afghans, Koreans, Pakistanis, Yemenis, and exploited S.American countries for ages..causing poverty, death, and backwardness...

And this barbarity is just one side..the barbaric, uncivilized Talibans also interfered in other countries, and conducted regime change..Oppressing the voice of millions of human beings through Taliban imposed neo-colonialism...

Talibans have been the greatest evil of the post world-war II world...

Oh wait....nevermind.

:pop:

I guess you confused them with Uncle Sam - You know, the place where you are in now. :rofl:

Th only difference is this - They do it to protect their narrow national and corporate interests while the Talibans do it in the name of God.

Talibans do what? They haven't attacked anyone outside of Afghanistan...

Their evil to humanity is trillion times less than the U.S'...but so is their benefit..lol..

As I said, I hope Talibans become mainstream force, drop weapons, and reforms. The Taliban movement actually started as a good movement..but lost its way somewhere....

1. "haven't attacked anyone outside of Afghanistan" - Which alternate parallel universe are you in?

2. "hope Talibans become mainstream force, drop weapons, and reforms" - Then they cease to be Taliban. Besides why should they reform? They consider they follow every religion to the letter.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...attack-us-base-afghanistan.html#ixzz2dinErSIp

Talibans do what? They haven't attacked anyone outside of Afghanistan...

Their evil to humanity is trillion times less than the U.S'...but so is their benefit..lol..

As I said, I hope Talibans become mainstream force, drop weapons, and reforms. The Taliban movement actually started as a good movement..but lost its way somewhere....

An army of AQ or Taliban properly trained & properly armed with the best weapons would be the most freocious and ruthless army ever to walk the earth

1. "haven't attacked anyone outside of Afghanistan" - Which alternate parallel universe are you in?

They haven't.

Name me one major attack on any country conducted by Afghan Talibans?

2. Then they cease to be Taliban. Besides why should they reform? They consider they follow every religion to the letter.

It has nothing to do with religion. See how Taliban, and "why" Talibans, rose and in what circumstances they rose to power.

It was a revolt against corruption of Mujahideens....

An army of AQ or Taliban properly trained & properly armed with the best weapons would be the most freocious and ruthless army ever to walk the earth

Being ruthless is not an achievement for any army, behaving like a regulated force is. Give freehand to NATO forces, they will be as ruthless as any one can imagine or gave free hand to PA in FATA and I can bet, If next seven generations dare to spell name of TTP. Same is true for any civil society. I am peaceful person and will think 100 times before killing a snake, but if I feel risk to my family safety, I can be as ruthless & butcher as anyone can't imagine.

Off Topic....

Similarly developing a society that can be civil, based on rule regulations and social justice is much more difficult task than making them ruthless. Religious extremism is the easiest way to make any social group ruthless and every religion has a tendency to do so. Being ruthless, when required and then reverting back to become a peaceful society is a real mountainous task.

I feel Kurd are the real example of balanced approach without using religious extremism as a tool. Kurd are fighting from centuries for freedom and sometimes they do very extremist military action, but they also successfully built a parallel peaceful, educated and secular society. On the other hand Pashtuns are a failure, ANP & Badshah Khan tried but failed. You can see the results of their failure today.

Back
Top Bottom