What's new

Malaysia Revives China-Backed Rail Link, Cost Cut by a Third

Beast

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2011
30,390
-51
66,760
Country
China
Location
China
https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...es-china-backed-rail-link-cost-cut-by-a-third

BY EILEEN NG, Associated Press

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia's government said Friday it has decided to resume a China-backed rail link project, after the Chinese contractor agreed to cut the construction cost by one-third.

The deal follows months of vacillating over the East Coast Rail Link, which connects Malaysia's west coast to eastern rural states and is a key part of China's Belt and Road infrastructure initiative.

It should also help bolster ties between China and Malaysia that were strained when Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad suspended the project after his election last May.

The prime minister's office said in a statement that the construction cost of the first two phases of the project will be cut to 44 billion ringgit ($10.7 billion), down from the original cost of 65.5 billion ringgit ($15.9 billion).

It welcomed the signing of a supplementary agreement between Malaysia Rail Link Sendirian Berhad and state-owned China Communications Construction Company Ltd. to revive the project.

"This reduction will surely benefit Malaysia and lighten the burden on the country's financial position," the statement said.

In Beijing, Malaysian chief negotiator Daim Zainuddin told Malaysian media that the rail link will be 40 kilometers (24.8 miles) shorter at 648 kilometers (402.6 miles) but will remain a double-track line.

Daim was quoted by the New Straits Times newspaper as saying the cost savings was a "big achievement." The lower cost also means the government can save in terms of interest on a lower loan, he said.

He said the agreement will bolster bilateral relations and encourage more Chinese companies to invest in Malaysia.

A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, Lu Kang, hailed the agreement.

"We are happy to see that the two sides have reached a settlement through friendly negotiation. I also hope that the two sides can resume the project construction as soon as possible," he told reporters.

Mahathir's government has axed or reviewed large-scale infrastructure projects to rein in surging national debt that it blames mostly on corruption in the previous government.

The government last year suspended works on the rail link pending renegotiations.

Mahathir initially suggested the rail project will be called off because the high cost could burden the country with debt for decades. But he later said negotiations were ongoing and the government hadn't made a final decision.

The project is largely financed by China and the main contract was awarded in 2016 to CCCC by former Prime Minister Najib Razak. Mahathir's government has said the final cost could balloon to more than 100 billion ringgit ($24.2 billion) but bids to terminate the project could pose a challenge to the government, which would have to pay compensation and risk angering China, Malaysia's largest trading partner.

Apart from the rail link, the government last year also cancelled two China-backed pipelines costing 9.3 billion ringgit ($2.3 billion) after discovering that 90 percent of the project's costs had been paid but only 13 percent of work had been completed.

The government has said it is investigating whether any money in the rail project had been channeled by Najib's government to repay debts at the 1MDB state investment fund.

A massive financial scandal at 1MDB led to the election loss of Najib's coalition last May and Najib is currently on trial for multiple corruption charges linked to 1MDB.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 
The outcome was predicted a long time ago. China is too important to Malaysia. Hope China can also win the HSR project slated for restart next year. BRI is very much alive in Malaysia. Naysayers can weep.
 
The outcome was predicted a long time ago. China is too important to Malaysia. Hope China can also win the HSR project slated for restart next year. BRI is very much alive in Malaysia. Naysayers can weep.

Cost cut by third is pretty big, can't we make that happen in Pakistan?
 
Cost cut by third is pretty big, can't we make that happen in Pakistan?
Cause they revise the railway line from double to single track. Plus they make a huge detour, no longer enters the capital Kuala Lumpur entirely and stop at Seremban. This is because to reach Kuala Lumpur/Selangor industrial heartland would require viaduct and tunnels. The revision questionable.
 
Cost cut by third is pretty big, can't we make that happen in Pakistan?
Cost saving was made possible by changing the route, avoiding mountain area that need very long tunnels (total 50 KM) and bridges/viaducts (total 110 KM), and also reduce the number of railway stations.
 
Need same project in Indonesia, an undisturbed journey with railway from Sabang to Metro Lampung would be nice or from Manado to Makassar
 
It is very good to know that a consensus has been reached. Naysayers and anti-BRI high-jumpers can step aside and let their temper cool off a bit.

No, BRI is not collapsing.
 
Cause they revise the railway line from double to single track. Plus they make a huge detour, no longer enters the capital Kuala Lumpur entirely and stop at Seremban. This is because to reach Kuala Lumpur/Selangor industrial heartland would require viaduct and tunnels. The revision questionable.
In Beijing, Malaysian chief negotiator Daim Zainuddin told Malaysian media that the rail link will be 40 kilometers (24.8 miles) shorter at 648 kilometers (402.6 miles) but will remain a double-track line.
 
ECRL is up and running again

Saturday, 13 Apr 2019

beh yuen hui and mazwin nik anis

BEIJING: It is confirmed – Malaysia has managed to bring down the construction cost of the East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) project by RM21.5bil, which is almost a third of the original cost.

The new price is set at RM44bil now, down 32.8% from the previous RM66bil.

Tun Daim Zainuddin, who led the negotiations with China, said the latest cost estimate was far more manageable for the government.

“It will also require a smaller loan from Exim Bank, which will further reduce the interest to be paid,” he told Malaysian journalists at the Malaysian Embassy here yesterday.

With the new price tag, the construction cost for the project is now at RM68mil per km, against RM98mil per km originally.

Earlier yesterday, Malaysia Rail Link Sdn Bhd and China Communications Construction Company Ltd signed a supplementary agreement to pave the way for the resumption of the suspended project.

The agreement also saw slight changes to the route from Kota Baru in Kelantan to Port Klang in Selangor, with the length cut by 40km to 648km.

“It will still be double-tracking,” said Daim, who is the Special Envoy of the Prime Minister.

The realigned route will see the rail track diverted to Negri Sembilan from Mentakab in Pahang, bypassing Bentong in Pahang and Gombak in Selangor as planned earlier.

“It will start in Kota Baru, then to Mentakab, Jelebu and Kuala Klawang in Negri Sembilan, continue on to Bangi, Kajang, Putrajaya and end in Port Klang,” he said, without elaborating on the changes.

timeline-ecrl.ashx


He said construction would commerce as soon as possible with the new date of completion reset to 2026, a two-year delay from the project planned originally.

Daim, who is also chairman of the Council of Eminent Persons, added that it had been agreed that 40% of the sub-contractors for the project would be Malaysians.

Negotiations on the loan and interest rate were still ongoing, he said.

“Now that the cost is lower, the loan will also be lower,” he said.

Daim declined to reveal more details, saying that Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad will address a press conference on the ECRL on Monday.

China’s Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said his government was glad to see the issue being settled through friendly negotiation.

He said China and Malaysia were good neighbours and partners, which viewed each other’s friendship with importance.

Lu Kang said China hoped to see the project recommence soon.

In Putrajaya, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) confirmed the latest details involving the ECRL.

“The signing was achieved after months of negotiations between the companies involved as well as the governments of Malaysia and China.

“This reduction (in cost) will surely benefit Malaysia and lighten the burden of the country’s financial position,” it said in a statement yesterday.

The PMO said the supplementary agreement covered the engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning aspects of the ECRL.

It confirmed that Dr Mahathir would address the media at 11am on Monday.

The original 688km ECRL proposal comprised Phase 1, stretching from the Klang Valley to Kuantan.

Phase 2 is from Kuantan to Kuala Terengganu and Phase 3 connecting Kuala Terengganu to Kota Baru and Tumpat.

The Pakatan Harapan government suspended the ECRL project after winning the general election last year.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/04/13/ecrl-is-up-and-running-again/#x2qJ5xb1Vx80WE20.99

Thank you @JSCh for the original post.
 
In Beijing, Malaysian chief negotiator Daim Zainuddin told Malaysian media that the rail link will be 40 kilometers (24.8 miles) shorter at 648 kilometers (402.6 miles) but will remain a double-track line.
Well that was the rumour before, and yeah you are right, its a double track. But the problem remains is the utilization. The detour would meant passengers from the capital would prefer bus, and Pahang Port less attractive because it isn't connected to directly to Selangor.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Back
Top Bottom