Prechko

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
First good images of Kh-32 in testing

121197.jpg

zhrp.jpg

m0L0HFB.jpg

Why exactly do you say that? What happens to be 'mysterious' about it?

Well, so far there are disputes - whether it put into service or not. And there are very few pictures of it although the missile was on trial in the late 80's first time.

Well, so far there are disputes - whether it put into service or not. And there are very few pictures of it although the missile was on trial in the late 80's first time.

Thanks for the info. What happened then? Was the developmental work impacted by the break-up of the SU? And by financial trobles?

Yes. Due to the collapse of the USSR. But there was also the technical side. I'm no expert, but as far as I know, the Kh-32 is close to hypersonic capabilities.

Thanks for the info. What happened then? Was the developmental work impacted by the break-up of the SU? And by financial trobles?

All things considered, it seems out of place among today's designs since it is based on a missile that was replaced as such by the KH-15. So unless this is an effort to keep a "carrier-hunter" so to speak.. or use up existing stocks for lower costs.. there is not much mystery or "newness" to this weapon.

All things considered, it seems out of place among today's designs since it is based on a missile that was replaced as such by the KH-15. So unless this is an effort to keep a "carrier-hunter" so to speak.. or use up existing stocks for lower costs.. there is not much mystery or "newness" to this weapon.

Outdated Design? Is the world full of cruise air-launched anti-ship missiles with a range of 600-1000 km and a speed of up to 5-7M? Is there anything to compare the Kh-32?

Outdated Design? Is the world full of cruise air-launched anti-ship missiles with a range of 600-1000 km and a speed of up to 5-7M? Is there anything to compare the Kh-32?

well,Kh-22 was a really capable missile.Kh-32 is upgraded version of it.so,we can expect a hypersonic ASCM with Air to Surface attack capability.

The world had a weapon like this since the KH-22 and then the Kh-15.. but that depends on the philosophy behind the design. As such the west invested heavily in systems like the SM-2 and Patriot to counter such systems. Which is why later Russian designs like the P-700 focused on a low level penetration to reduce detection range and hence SAM response.

The world had a weapon like this since the KH-22 and then the Kh-15.. but that depends on the philosophy behind the design. As such the west invested heavily in systems like the SM-2 and Patriot to counter such systems. Which is why later Russian designs like the P-700 focused on a low level penetration to reduce detection range and hence SAM response.

Only Russia/USSR has expirience in constructing such missles.
"Kh-32, separated from the airplane takes off almost into near space - up to 40 km in height. There it "looks" very far "over the horizon" for the targets and detecting them at 600 or even 1000 km. The warhead of the cruise missile is much smarter than the Kh-22 - it can classify targets and to select the most important - aircraft carrier or cruiser. And to the target Kh-32 runs at 6-7M it is almost impossible to intercept.
USA will need new generation of SAM systems to counter.

Only Russia/USSR has expirience in constructing such missles.
"Kh-32, separated from the airplane takes off almost into near space - up to 40 km in height. There it "looks" very far "over the horizon" for the targets and detecting them at 600 or even 1000 km. The warhead of the cruise missile is much smarter than the Kh-22 - it can classify targets and to select the most important - aircraft carrier or cruiser. And to the target Kh-32 runs at 6-7M it is almost impossible to intercept.
USA will need new generation of SAM systems to counter.

Actually, both the Patriot-3 and SM-2ER were focused on countering the threat from KH-22 and KH-15 systems. Specifically during their dive phase. Current SM-6 with active radar seeker probably had greater accuracy.

Actually, both the Patriot-3 and SM-2ER were focused on countering the threat from KH-22 and KH-15 systems. Specifically during their dive phase. Current SM-6 with active radar seeker probably had greater accuracy.

Probably. In any case, this is speculation. We do not know exactly characteristics of the X-32 and I strongly doubt that the Americans have created interceptors for what that does not yet exist.

Look at this way , why reinvent the wheel again?

Kh-22 is perfect body , i must remind you that Kh-101/102 is very different from Kh-55/555 familiy despite being "based" on. Kh-32 could be major leap forward from Kh-22 like Kh-101 is from Kh-55 , i wouldn`t dismiss it so easily.

Look at this way , why reinvent the wheel again?

Kh-22 is perfect body , i must remind you that Kh-101/102 is very different from Kh-55/555 familiy despite being "based" on. Kh-32 could be major leap forward from Kh-22 like Kh-101 is from Kh-55 , i wouldn`t dismiss it so easily.

I do not dismiss it at all, but rather question the motives of updating an older system to keep it relevant in terms of finances.
After all, the Mig-31 seems old but as such it is still possibly the best interceptor in service if updated to BM configuration.

Back
Top Bottom