What's new

Japan Hostage Crisis Revives Debate Over Military Force

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
May 29, 2014
24,960
118
35,589
Country
Japan
Location
United States
TOKYO—The Japanese hostage crisis appears certain to play a role in the debate over Japan’s global security posture as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ’s government prepares legislation that would give it more freedom to use military force.

Mr. Abe’s government on Monday convened a session of parliament in which it plans to introduce legislation that will allow Japan to engage in “collective self-defense,” including aiding allies such as the U.S. in regional conflicts threatening Japan’s security, and to come to the rescue of Japanese citizens abroad.

Koichi Nakano, a political-science professor at Sophia University in Tokyo, said the hostage crisis—in which a Japanese citizen was beheaded by Islamic State militants last week—could strengthen Mr. Abe’s resolve to restyle Japan as a more muscular political actor on the international stage.

“Mr. Abe may use the latest case to raise support for his move to expand the role of Japan’s military,” he said.

Explaining the need for laws supporting more military options, Mr. Abe pointed to the hostage crisis in a TV appearance Sunday, noting that under existing laws, the government’s options were limited.

“The legislation is aimed at protecting the lives and well-being of the people by structuring a seamless legal security structure,” Mr. Abe said during a regular round-table debate on public broadcaster NHK. “For example, if Japanese abroad come under harm’s way as in the recent case, the Self-Defense Forces currently aren’t able to fully utilize its abilities.”


Many opposition lawmakers have supported Mr. Abe during the hostage crisis—or at least refrained from criticizing him openly. By Sunday, though, some had begun to point to Mr. Abe’s recent trip to the Middle East and offer of $200 million in nonmilitary aid for countries affected by Islamic State as possibly having provoked the group, arguing that a more active role in global security necessarily brings more risk.

“The prime minister says it’s humanitarian aid and that he’s not sending ammunition, weapons or troops, but wars aren’t just about firing guns. Soldiers cannot fight without food,” said lawmaker Ichiro Ozawa, a former president of the main opposition Democratic Party of Japan who now heads a smaller party, on the same NHK broadcast Sunday. “Mr. Abe basically went all the way over there and gave a speech which could be interpreted by the Islamic State as a declaration of war.”

A video released late Saturday showed that one of two Japanese captives held by Islamic State had been beheaded. In it, the other hostage, freelance journalist Kenji Goto, held a photo showing what appeared to be the decapitated head and body of Haruna Yukawa, a self-described military contractor. A voice described as Mr. Goto’s read a statement saying the militants were now demanding the release of a prisoner held in Jordan instead of the $200 million previously sought as ransom.

In an earlier video, released Jan. 20, Islamic State demanded $200 million for the two men, citing the same amount in aid from Japan and contending the money is intended to help “kill Muslims.” Mr. Abe has repeatedly stressed that Japan is providing nonmilitary humanitarian assistance, rejecting Islamic State’s claim.

Since assuming power in late 2012, Mr. Abe has sought to raise Japan’s international security profile. Last year, his cabinet approved a revised interpretation of the nation’s pacifist constitution that would ease long-standing restrictions on military activities outside Japanese territory. Parliament must still pass legislation to flesh out Mr. Abe’s vision.

The reinterpretation, which followed a yearslong debate in Japanese policy circles, is mainly intended to counter China’s growing regional power and to show the U.S. that Japan is willing to assume a more equal role in regional security. The latter element has also required Japan to align itself more closely with its Western allies on Middle East policy and the fight against terrorism. It is this new geopolitical role that many in Japan have argued could invite trouble such as the hostage crisis.

Mr. Abe has stressed that Japan has real national interests in the Middle East, which provides almost all of its crude-oil imports. His pledge of $200 million, specifically for nation’s affected by Islamic State’s expansion in Syria and Iraq, was part of Japan’s $2.5 billion aid package offering humanitarian and infrastructure assistance for the entire region.

Still, in a sign of unease among the Japanese people, a poll conducted by Kyodo News on Sunday found that 50.7% of respondents said the government should take more time before submitting legislation related to collective self-defense. Only 21% said the government should move ahead.

The Kyodo poll found that 60.6% of respondents supported the government’s response to the hostage situation, versus 31.2% that didn’t. Support for Mr. Abe’s cabinet stood at 52.8%, little changed from the previous survey taken in December when the ruling coalition scored a landslide victory in a general election.

—Jun Hongo contributed to this article.




Japan Hostage Crisis Revives Debate Over Military Force - WSJ
 
United state has core interest all over the world. By signing the collective defence Japan may end up being used to do tasks that has little interest to Japan.

Before forging alliances beware their true intentions - sun tze
 
Irrespective. Japan will only send forces when utterly necessary, as in when Japanese interests abroad are threatened.
 
This is not the first time Japanese hostage are taken, it will have relatively little impact, if not even positive public motivation to support Abe's initiative. The only thing that will delay it are just the nuances of the wordings of the article to please all parties.

With that said. I was quite surprise when I read some news about the Japanese Communist Party made some comment about the hostage situation. I mean, a communist party in an advance industrialzed & democratic nation like Japan? Do they even have supporters? :D
 
This is not the first time Japanese hostage are taken, it will have relatively little impact, if not even positive public motivation to support Abe's initiative. The only thing that will delay it are just the nuances of the wordings of the article to please all parties.

With that said. I was quite surprise when I read some news about the Japanese Communist Party made some comment about the hostage situation. I mean, a communist party in an advance industrialzed & democratic nation like Japan? Do they even have supporters? :D

Yes, of course. Unlike South Korea, which actually abolishes certain political parties that its leadership considers a 'threat', Japan does not. The Japanese Communist Party has about 300,000 members, and they actually have a presence in the National Diet; there are 21 Representatives who belong to the Communist Party! Even communists have the right to be represented in Japan !
 
TOKYO, Feb. 1 (Xinhua) -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on early Sunday morning harshly condemned the purported killing of Kenji Goto, following the latest video message uploaded by the militant group Islamic State shows the beheading of a man suspected to be the captured Japanese national.

"It is an outrage and entirely unacceptable. We will do everything in our power to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice. We will not give in to terrorism," the prime minister reiterated in no uncertain terms.

In a one-minute video clip purportedly posted by IS, a man believed to be Goto appears kneeling on the ground, wearing orange jumpsuit. A man clad in black, wielding a knife and wearing a mask, is stood to the rear of the hostage.

The masked man said because"Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe 's reckless decision to take part in an un-winnable war, his knife will not just slaughter Goto, but will also carry on and cause carnage wherever Japanese people are found."

After the video was posted on-line, Abe told reporters at his office that he was utterly"outraged by the despicable terrorist act,"adding that he would never give into terrorists. The prime minister said that Japan would redouble its efforts to work with the international community and not tolerate such acts of terrorism.

Abe added that the tragic slayings of the two Japanese hostages by IS would not deter the Japanese government from providing financial aid to countries fighting against IS and other terrorist organizations, and would in fact be looking to increase its level of humanitarian aid for such activities.

Early Sunday morning both Japanese and U.S. officials were trying to confirm the authenticity of the video, although sources close to the matter have suggested the video is authentic based on previous videos.

Japanese officials had been working with Jordon to secure the release of Goto, since a video released on Tuesday said he had only 24-hours left to live. Meanwhile, the Jordanian government was trying to broker a deal that would see Goto and an IS-held Jordanian pilot, Moaz al-Kasasbeh, who's F-16 fighter jet had been shot down in December, exchanged for an Iraqi would-be suicide bomber, Sajida, who was convicted for her role in a series of bombings in the Jordanian capital of Amman in 2005 which killed around 60 people.

Since Tuesday, the government had remained extremely tight- lipped over developments regarding Goto, with Abe and other senior officials in Tokyo declining to comment on speculation over a possible prisoner swap.

Abe's top spokesperson Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga has told reporters that the government believed Goto was still alive and was seeking cooperation from Jordan and other relevant governments, religious and tribal leaders to secure his release.

Related:

IS says it beheads Japanese hostage Goto

CAIRO, Jan. 31 (Xinhua) -- The Islamic State (IS) militant group claimed in a video it posted online late Saturday night that it beheaded the other Japanese hostage Kenji Goto.

According to site monitoring service, IS released the video that purportedly showed the beheading of the Japanese captive.Full Story

U.S. working to authenticate ISIL video on beheading of second Japanese hostage

WASHINGTON, Jan. 31 (Xinhua) -- TheWhite Housesaid on Saturday theUnited Stateswas working to authenticate the video purporting to show beheading of the second Japanese hostage Kenji Goto posted by the terrorist group ISIL and strongly condemned such crime.

"We have seen the video purporting to show that Japanese citizen Kenji Goto has been murdered by the terrorist group ISIL. We are working to confirm its authenticity," said the White House National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan in a statement. "The United States strongly condemns ISIL's actions and we call for the immediate release of all remaining hostages.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Back
Top Bottom