What's new

FOURTH GENERATION TYPE-99KM TANK EXPOSURE

No tank alive has survived a direct Javlin hit. Top down attack portable anti-tank missiles give a decided edge to the Infantry over tanks.

1. All Type 99 variants have Active Protection System, which can shoot down incoming projectiles with defense weapons
  2. All Type 99 variants have a laser-dazzling device, which can blind and disable the enemy's aiming systems and guns. No other tank has this type of weapon.
  3. It's got next-generation aluminum(III) oxide armor that can withstand 9 hits from a T-72 without sustaining any damage.

Don't pay any attention to this, the "source" is just some fanboy's message board post.

This is exactly what 98% of netizens said about the J-10B until several hours after the prototype photos were released.

The Type 99KM reports are all over the internet.

1. All Type 99 variants have Active Protection System, which can shoot down incoming projectiles with defense weapons
  2. All Type 99 variants have a laser-dazzling device, which can blind and disable the enemy's aiming systems and guns. No other tank has this type of weapon.
  3. It's got next-generation aluminum(III) oxide armor that can withstand 9 hits from a T-72 without sustaining any damage.

You lost me there. People keep talking about these active defense system and dazzlers but I'm not convinced they actually work.

And I've taken material chemistry to a fair advanced degree I've never heard of Aluminium oxide being used as armour and can't really see how it has the requisite properties to act as such.

You lost me there. People keep talking about these active defense system and dazzlers but I'm not convinced they actually work.

And I've taken material chemistry to a fair advanced degree I've never heard of Aluminium oxide being used as armour and can't really see how it has the requisite properties to act as such.

The laser dazzler is already used on current Type 99s.

ZTZ99 Systems - SinoDefence.com

Electro-Optical Countermeasures
The ZTZ99 utilises a unique electro-optical countermeasures suite, which is located on the turret roof behind the gunner hatch. The system comprises a laser warning receiver (LWR) and an box-shape active laser self-defence weapon (LSDW), which was designed to use high-powered laser to attack the enemy weapon's optics and gunner. Once the LWR detects that the tank is being illuminated by an enemy range-finding or weapon-guidance laser, the system warns the tank crew and the LSDW is employed against the source of the enemy laser. The LSDW can disrupt the laser/infrared guidance signal of the enemy missile, disable the enemy observation optics (optical, night vision, thermal imager, laser rangefinder, etc.), and damage the eyesight of the enemy gunner. Photos of the Type 99 showed that the LSDW can be elevated to a higher angle than the tank's main gun, indicating that the engagement of attack helicopters is possible.

The active defence system is just speculation.

Well, you put aluminium plates on your vehicle and after awhile it oxidises and you have...aluminium oxide.

Maybe he was referring not to Al2O3 but another compound.

Well, you put aluminium plates on your vehicle and after awhile it oxidises and you have...aluminium oxide.

Maybe he was referring not to Al2O3 but another compound.

:lol::lol: I don't think I would trust that to stop a APDS round from a 110mm rheinmetall smoothbore.

And maybe... He might be talking about some ceramic materials that I'm not familiar with, but those are a whole different kettle of fish.

:lol::lol: I don't think I would trust that to stop a APDS round from a 110mm rheinmetall smoothbore.

And maybe... He might be talking about some ceramic materials that I'm not familiar with, but those are a whole different kettle of fish.

I think this is what he was talking about:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-defence/73925-new-chinese-body-armor.html

A note on the Chinese hard plate, since they don't have access to the material to make boron carbide ceramic, their higher-end plates use aluminum oxide ceramic but because the Chinese military is typically cheap-stick, most of their hard plates use ballistic steel, which is up to 3 times heavier than the ceramic plates.

This is exactly what 98% of netizens said about the J-10B until several hours after the prototype photos were released.

The Type 99KM reports are all over the internet.

I'm not discrediting its existence, I'm sure they're working on it right, I'm just discrediting the OP's "stats", which, I'm sure is false just like 99% of the netizens' published stats on the J-10B.

I don't think so :what: because I don't think he meant to say that body armour can "withstand 9 hits from a T-72" (some armour that would be)

While i agree that his tank is monster.
It's claim to be 10 years ahead in tank design is false.

A look at a US concept

the Type-99 may incorporate advanced tech , but it can't quite be classified as future tech.

Last edited by a moderator:
300px-Type_99_MBT_front_left.jpg
this is a type 99 n not a type 99 km....

Ok. Lets start on the laser dazzler.
Every gunner uses optics and computers for aiming. But if the optics are blinded by an intense laser, then the aiming systems are disabled. Basically, the gunner is firing blind.

The APS system detects incoming projectiles and fires another projectile to intercept it (think of it as a super-mini SAM).

Al2O3 is a new type of armor. It can resist 9 hits from a T-72 without suffering any damage.

Back
Top Bottom