What's new

Flying Cost of Fighter jet's

I can try... the problem is, do we fold in everything, including the pay to the pilot, the mechanics? Do we add in the cost of parts that will eventually be replaced, divided by the number of sorties before that component needs replacement?

See, it can become very convoluted. But a basic cost for fuel is simple enough. Working with pounds and gallons, a typical F-15 sortie consists of internal fuel, plus one external tank, total fuel weight 13,400 + 4,000 = 17,000 pounds. We'd land with fuel remaining, so assume 14,000 pounds of fuel burnt. At 6 pounds per gallon, that is 2,333 gallons used.

If that fuel was purchased at a typical FBO, it'd cost $3 or more per gallon, so that would be perhaps $7,000 for fuel alone. But governments buy in bulk, no taxes, probably less than $1 per gallon.

I would guess $30 worth of oil is burnt each sortie. If you fire 20mm shells, that can add up quickly, at a few dollars per shot. If you add the cost of pilot pay, I'd calculate that by the pilot's annual salary divided by the number of sorties he flies per year. I won't even touch maintenance.

See how quickly it can become complex? I vaguely remember from my time active duty that each training sortie in an F-15C was calculated at something like $24,000 U.S. total cost. A T-38 would be much less, a B-1 much more.

Just after estimation of fuel costs only am feeling myself sitting between blocks of ice. Thand Par gai hai
:agree::agree::agree:

@chogy:
what aircraft u found better in Fuel consumption, air frame maintinence, engine life..etc comparing Us/westren/Russian , aircrafts

Arent these running cost claims...Over rated?
Many contractors in the American defense industry are known to charge the US defence authorities more than 10 times of the actual cost..May be that is a contributing factor to such high running costs..
Will be good if we can somehow get similar statistics from other countries.

Turbojet engine(like those in F-4,F-5) consumes more fuel than Turbofan engine(F-16,F-15)

anyway more info about flying cost/hour of aircraft

Maintenance

there's a list of flying cost/hour for a wide array of combat aircraft,but since it is posted in other forum,i'm not going to post the link here

pm me for the links

Turbojet engine(like those in F-4,F-5) consumes more fuel than Turbofan engine(F-16,F-15)

anyway more info about flying cost/hour of aircraft

Maintenance

there's a list of flying cost/hour for a wide array of combat aircraft,but since it is posted in other forum,i'm not going to post the link here

pm me for the links

Thats strange...what stops you from posting the link? Is there an underlying trick? hmmmmmm

@chogy:
what aircraft u found better in Fuel consumption, air frame maintinence, engine life..etc comparing Us/westren/Russian , aircrafts

Good question - I think in general, Western engines tend to be a bit more "refined" than their Russian counterparts, will generally last longer, and be more reliable, but the advantage is thin, and Russian engines are excellent.

Airframes - Western airframes are built with human factors in mind. They are designed for simple and easy maintenance, engine changes, and the use of LRU's (Line Replaceable Units) make avionics and system repair very fast... pull a black box, plug in a replacement, and launch. On the other hand, Russian airframes are built very stout, and are engineered to operate in harsh environments with less required maintenance to begin with.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both styles of engineering. The Russians always have had WW2 in the back of their minds, and they remember when their simple and durable equipment performed in the harsh winters, while the refined and maintenance hungry German equipment did not work as expected.

I had posted this in another thread so just copying it from there, hope it helps -

fig3-1.gif

GetRichTextImage.aspx

https://acc.dau.mil/GetRichTextImage.aspx?id=314773&imageid=de25856a-fb4b-41ef-8422-b3b7fc9d4457

GetRichTextImage.aspx

https://acc.dau.mil/GetRichTextImage.aspx?id=314773&imageid=4659899e-baa9-4a53-8f89-408ed6ff21a7

GetRichTextImage.aspx

https://acc.dau.mil/GetRichTextImage.aspx?id=314773&imageid=f0401b14-a9f8-432a-9c5e-98e61445f772

zLCCpie.jpg

Managing the preparation of a life-cycle cost estimate requires continual coordination among all of the stakeholders. Normally, cost estimates are sponsored by a system program office and are prepared by a multi-disciplinary team with functional skills in financial management, logistics, engineering, and other talents. The team also should include participants or reviewers from major affected organizations, such as the system's operating command, product support center, maintenance depot, training center or command, and so forth. Typically, the analytic approach to the cost estimate is documented in a written study plan that includes a master schedule (of specific tasks, responsible parties, and due dates). For sufficiently complex efforts, the estimating team may be organized as a formal Integrated Product Team. Throughout the preparation of the estimate, coordination with all interested parties remains important. Frequent in-progress reviews or meetings are usually a good practice.

For independent cost estimates, the team may be smaller and less formal, but the basic principle—complete and continual coordination of the cost estimate with all interested parties—still applies.

Altogether there is much more to pricing in an aircraft that meets your eye.

Cheers

Last edited:
The Russians always have had WW2 in the back of their minds, and they remember when their simple and durable equipment performed in the harsh winters, while the refined and maintenance hungry German equipment did not work as expected.

that was the Turning Point Of The War..nyce answer but i have some valid points:
1. Germans were Far away frm their home land,
2. The were fighting with almost half of the world at same time.
3. Russia is a Vast Land, they Had Their Supplies while Gemans were out-sourced.
4.Russian's were Aware of weather so they made weapons which can oprate in Harsh and ill conditions.

that was the Turning Point Of The War..nyce answer but i have some valid points:
1. Germans were Far away frm their home land,
2. The were fighting with almost half of the world at same time.
3. Russia is a Vast Land, they Had Their Supplies while Gemans were out-sourced.
4.Russian's were Aware of weather so they made weapons which can oprate in Harsh and ill conditions.

You are right they were something more than over stretched which caused serious logistics problems, resulted into lack of due maintenance of sophisticated equipment besides lack of other necessary supplies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom