What's new

Egypt court dismisses charges against Mubarak

Luffy 500

SENIOR MEMBER
Jan 2, 2012
5,562
2
7,420
Egypt court dismisses charges against Mubarak - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Egypt court dismisses charges against Mubarak


Charges against ex-president over killing of protesters in 2011 dropped by judge, who also cleared him in a graft case.

An Egyptian court has thrown out charges against former President Hosni Mubarak, his interior minister and six aides over the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising against him.

Mubarak and his sons Alaa and Gamal were also cleared by Chief Judge Mahmoud Kamel al-Rashidi of corruption charges related to exporting gas to Israel.

The judge said too much time had elapsed since the alleged crime took place for the court to rule on the matter.

Reacting to the verdict, Mubarak denied responsibility for the protesters' deaths, in a phone call to a local television station.

"I felt I did nothing wrong at all. I was waiting to find out what they will come up with this time. It was an innocent verdict. I did nothing wrong at all. But, we cannot change destiny. When I heard the previous ruling I laughed. This time I was just waiting. I felt indifferent. It is all in the hands of God."

However, Mubarak, 86, will not walk free after Saturday's verdicts. He was found guilty in May in another case related to theft of public funds and has been serving that three-year sentence while under house arrest for medical reasons in an army hospital in an upscale Cairo suburb.

Saturday's rulings can be appealed and the attorney general has asked his team to study the case to see if an appeal is possible.

The packed courtroom erupted in cheers after the judge finished reading the verdicts.

Mubarak, wearing sunglasses and a sweater, had been grim-faced when he was wheeled into the courtroom on a stretcher.

The judge said the former president should not be on trial in the first place.

"It is not suitable for a former president to be taken to a criminal court, according to the terms and conditions of criminal law, or to consider the things he did wrong within his political responsibilities, even those crimes mentioned in the accusation list," he said.

Mubarak's supporters leapt out of their benches in celebration when the judge pronounced the verdict, chanting: "Say the truth, don't be scared, Mubarak is innocent."

Some rushed over to his lawyer to congratulate him.

Outside the court venue, a sprawling police academy on Cairo's outskirts, relatives of those killed in the 18-day uprising were appalled at the ruling.

"It's an oppressive ruling. The blood of my son has been wasted," Mostafa Morsi, whose son was killed outside a police station during the uprising, told AFP.

Marwan Bishara, Al Jazeera's political analyst, said the ruling was "an arrogant attempt to make the Egyptian people feel sorry for coming out to the streets".

"This is trying to retrieve the old Egypt and basically clear three decades of dictatorship. Basically we have everyone charged with violence and corruption cleared of all charges, while in prison we have thousands of peaceful civil rights activists.

"I would have hoped that the new system in Egypt would give at least a hint that not everything was under the thumb of the military.

"In so many ways this verdict dismisses the dead and injured."

Nearly 900 protesters were killed in the 18-day uprising that ended when Mubarak stepped down, handing over power to the military.

The trial, however, was concerned only with the killing of 239 protesters, whose names were cited in the charge sheet.

While delivering his judgement, Rashidi, however, praised the January 2011 uprising, saying that its goals - freedom, bread and social justice - were justified.

The overthrow of Mubarak, who ruled for about 30 years, led to Egypt's first free election but the winner, Mohamed Morsi, was toppled last year by the army.

The release of some Mubarak-era figures this year had already raised fears among activists that the old leadership was regaining influence.

 
Those cleared of charges include:
  • Hosni Mubarak, former president
  • Alaa and Gamal, sons of Hosni Mubarak
  • Habib Aladly, former interior minister
  • Ahmed Ramzi, former head of central security forces
  • Adli Fayed, former assistant for interior minister
  • Hasan Abd Elrahman, former head of state security
  • Ismael Alshaer, former head of security in Cairo
  • Osama Almarasi, former head of security in Giza
  • Amr Alfaramawi, former head of security in 6 of Oct area
All these low life vermins cleared off of charges such as murder where as over 1000s of MB activist and other non-partisan egyptians sent to death in a mass show trial. What a jahili society Egypt has become. May Allah (swt) have mercy on Egypt and protect and guide our muslim brothers and sisters in egypt. Ameen.
 
Egypt court dismisses charges against Mubarak - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Egypt court dismisses charges against Mubarak


Charges against ex-president over killing of protesters in 2011 dropped by judge, who also cleared him in a graft case.

An Egyptian court has thrown out charges against former President Hosni Mubarak, his interior minister and six aides over the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising against him.

Mubarak and his sons Alaa and Gamal were also cleared by Chief Judge Mahmoud Kamel al-Rashidi of corruption charges related to exporting gas to Israel.

The judge said too much time had elapsed since the alleged crime took place for the court to rule on the matter.

Reacting to the verdict, Mubarak denied responsibility for the protesters' deaths, in a phone call to a local television station.

"I felt I did nothing wrong at all. I was waiting to find out what they will come up with this time. It was an innocent verdict. I did nothing wrong at all. But, we cannot change destiny. When I heard the previous ruling I laughed. This time I was just waiting. I felt indifferent. It is all in the hands of God."

However, Mubarak, 86, will not walk free after Saturday's verdicts. He was found guilty in May in another case related to theft of public funds and has been serving that three-year sentence while under house arrest for medical reasons in an army hospital in an upscale Cairo suburb.

Saturday's rulings can be appealed and the attorney general has asked his team to study the case to see if an appeal is possible.

The packed courtroom erupted in cheers after the judge finished reading the verdicts.

Mubarak, wearing sunglasses and a sweater, had been grim-faced when he was wheeled into the courtroom on a stretcher.

The judge said the former president should not be on trial in the first place.

"It is not suitable for a former president to be taken to a criminal court, according to the terms and conditions of criminal law, or to consider the things he did wrong within his political responsibilities, even those crimes mentioned in the accusation list," he said.

Mubarak's supporters leapt out of their benches in celebration when the judge pronounced the verdict, chanting: "Say the truth, don't be scared, Mubarak is innocent."

Some rushed over to his lawyer to congratulate him.

Outside the court venue, a sprawling police academy on Cairo's outskirts, relatives of those killed in the 18-day uprising were appalled at the ruling.

"It's an oppressive ruling. The blood of my son has been wasted," Mostafa Morsi, whose son was killed outside a police station during the uprising, told AFP.

Marwan Bishara, Al Jazeera's political analyst, said the ruling was "an arrogant attempt to make the Egyptian people feel sorry for coming out to the streets".

"This is trying to retrieve the old Egypt and basically clear three decades of dictatorship. Basically we have everyone charged with violence and corruption cleared of all charges, while in prison we have thousands of peaceful civil rights activists.

"I would have hoped that the new system in Egypt would give at least a hint that not everything was under the thumb of the military.

"In so many ways this verdict dismisses the dead and injured."

Nearly 900 protesters were killed in the 18-day uprising that ended when Mubarak stepped down, handing over power to the military.

The trial, however, was concerned only with the killing of 239 protesters, whose names were cited in the charge sheet.

While delivering his judgement, Rashidi, however, praised the January 2011 uprising, saying that its goals - freedom, bread and social justice - were justified.

The overthrow of Mubarak, who ruled for about 30 years, led to Egypt's first free election but the winner, Mohamed Morsi, was toppled last year by the army.

The release of some Mubarak-era figures this year had already raised fears among activists that the old leadership was regaining influence.
Egyptian courts are run by Mafia bosses and sisi the thug is the godfather of them all!
 
Shock horror

Expected, really

Egypt had democracy for a short time, love or hate the MB they were democratically elected and the first stint of democracy was always going to be troublesome

But all the secular dopes had to do was organise themselves and ala Tunisia would have had a good chance of winning the next democratic elections


Then it was up to the MB and opposition to create viable manifestos and in the future Egypt would have finally shed decades of dictatorship and military control




Like morons they allowed the military and deep state to carry out a coup and make Egypt even worse than before


Mubark a brutal dictator who had bled Egypt for decades is free and Morsi Egypts democratically elected president will be convicted of everything they can think of after only a year in power


It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic
 
Support democracy only when it suits you. Morsi was elected through a free and fair election by majority of egyptians.
 
Its Egypt, Sisi can make the judge suck his balls if he wants to

You can't be this delusional

So you're aware that all the appeal processes for those convicted under the SCAF were all filed and accepted under Morsi's tenure?

Even with the Presidential Constitutional Deceleration of 2012 which in essence removed the separation of powers and allowed Morsi to intervene in judicial affairs no progress was made in getting criminals banged up for life. All he did was appoint a new head prosecutor (who failed at prosecuting anyone I might add) who then resigned after a prolonged political backlash and handed over the position to his predecessor (who instantly resigned upon appointment).

So in essence what happened yesterday was a result of continued failures of previous regimes, the SCAF and the MB (when they were in cahoots) refused to amend any common laws which would aid in the prosecution of political figures in the absence of concrete evidence or the formation of revolutionary courts. This outcome was inevitable really.

No to military rule, no to Brotherhood rule, no to the Folool, the Revolution will continue.

But I guess having an actual reasoned argument won't matter to you. This has absolutely nothing to do with democracy the coup/revolution or anything else, plus I would advise you to look up the Presidency's statement on the results of the trial, it might contradict what you think.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Back
Top Bottom