What's new

Bombing kills 24 and injures 31 at campaign rally of Afghan president Ashraf Ghani

Kailash Kumar

SENIOR MEMBER
Oct 8, 2018
4,643
-1
4,053
Country
Suriname
Location
Netherlands
Bombing kills 24 at Afghan president’s rally

15 minutes ago

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Latest on developments in Afghanistan (all times local):

12:55 p.m.

A hospital director in northern Afghanistan says a bombing that targeted a campaign rally of President Ashraf Ghani killed 24 people. The president was at the scene but was unharmed in the blast and is safe.

Dr. Qasim Sangin at the Charakar hospital in northern Parwan province says another 31 people were wounded in the attack. He says there are women and children among those killed and wounded.

No one claimed responsibility for the attack, which comes as the country heads into presidential elections later this month despite relentless violence plaguing Afghanistan.

The Taliban have warned Afghans not to vote and said they would target polling stations and election campaigns.

___

12:45 p.m.

Afghan officials say a sticky bomb attached to a police vehicle went off near a campaign rally by President Ashraf Ghani in the country’s northern Parwan province.

There was no immediate word of casualties in the explosion.

The president’s campaign spokesman Hamed Aziz says that Ghani was there but that he is safe and unharmed. Aziz said he would provide more details later.

Wahida Shahkar, spokeswoman for the provincial governor in Parwan, says the explosion happened while the rally was underway on Tuesday, at the entrance to the venue.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

Across Afghanistan, militant attacks have continued as the country prepares for presidential elections later this month.

https://apnews.com/9823e78330484480930a747b1d89c973
 
Suicide bomber detonates inside govt building in east Afghanistan

SEPTEMBER 18, 2019

Jalalabad: A day after the Taliban killed nearly 50 people and wounded dozens more in two separate attacks, a suicide bomber has detonated inside a government building in eastern Afghanistan.

The war-torn country has seen a spike in violence with elections on the horizon.

While the Taliban took responsibility for yesterday's attack, it is not yet clear who is behind the latest. No group has claimed responsibility yet. It is likely that this too is a Taliban move.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid had said in an earlier statement that the rebel-outfit is intent on disrupting the election, scheduled for September 28.

Source and full article:
https://english.manoramaonline.com/...suicide-bomber-afghanistan-govt-building.html
 
Governor: Suicide bomb in southern Afghanistan kills 20

TAMEEM AKHGAR and KATHY GANNON

an hour ago

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A powerful suicide truck bomb devastated a hospital in southern Afghanistan early Thursday morning, killing 20 people and wounding 97 others, according to the province’s governor, while a deadly drone strike in the country’s east was blamed on U.S. forces.

The Taliban, who claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing, have carried out nearly daily attacks since peace talks with the United States collapsed earlier this month.

Thursday’s massive explosion destroyed part of the hospital in Qalat, the capital of southern Zabul province, and left a fleet of ambulances broken and battered.

Local residents, many of whom had come to see their sick family members, used shawls and blankets to carry the wounded inside the destroyed building, while authorities scrambled to take the worst of the wounded to hospitals in nearby Kandahar.

Hours earlier, a drone attack in eastern Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province blamed on U.S. forces killed at least 16 and wounded tens of others, most of them civilians, said Jawaid Zaman, presidential adviser on tribal affairs.

The U.S. forces in Afghanistan said they carried out a strike in eastern Nangarhar targeting Islamic State positions in the area.

“We are aware of allegations of the death of non-combatants and are working with local officials to determine the facts,” said Col. Sonny Legget, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan.

Angry residents of the area where the strike occurred carried 12 of the bodies to the provincial capital Jalalabad Thursday morning protesting the attack, said provincial council head Ahmad Ali Hazrat. Many more people are believed to be missing.

Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor, also said the target was Islamic State group militants who are in the area.

But according to Zaman the local residents had provided prior notice to the local authorities that they would be collecting dried fruit. As many as 50 people were in the fields when the aerial attack occurred, he said.

Meanwhile in southern Zabul province, Governor Rahmatullah Yarmal said the death toll was 20 with many of the 97 injured in critical condition. There were contradictory figures of the dead and wounded in the early hours immediately after the 6 a.m. suicide truck bombing.

Morning prayers had just finished when worshippers were stunned by the ear-splitting blast that destroyed parts of a mosque adjacent to the hospital and the hospital building, said Mahboob Hakimi, a resident of Qalat.

Windows in his home nearly two kilometers (over one mile) away were shattered by the blast, he said.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahed, said in a tweet the target was a nearby intelligence office, which he claimed was destroyed and “tens of intelligence operatives killed/wounded.”

Provincial council chief Atta Jan Haqbayan said the wall of the National Security Department (NDS) building was damaged. He couldn’t say whether any personnel were among the casualties.

Gov. Yarmal said many of the dead and wounded were women and children. On Twitter, an Afghan National Security Forces personnel posted a picture of a six-month-old child saying they were searching through the rubble for the parents and sought the public’s help.

President Ashraf Ghani’s spokesman, Sediq Sediqqi, condemned the attack in Zabul, tweeting that the Taliban “continue to target civilians while their leaders travel to Iran and Russia,” a reference to the Taliban negotiators recent forays seeking support abroad.

The violence has further rattled the country as it prepares for national elections later this month. Two separate bombings on Tuesday, including one that targeted Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s election rally, killed 48 people, mostly civilians. The Taliban took responsibility for both attacks.

Suhail Shaheen, the Taliban’s spokesman for their political office in the Middle Eastern state of Qatar, said in a tweet that a cease fire had been part of a U.S.-Taliban deal before President Trump declared it “dead.” He did not elaborate and earlier defended Taliban attacks prior to an agreement signing, saying both sides in the conflict had carried out attacks.

Meanwhile, former Afghan President Hamid Karzai made an appeal to the Taliban to end their attacks and to negotiate with Afghans, saying that the country can construct its own peace deal without the U.S. and ask for American troops to leave.

The former president has been a strong and consistent critic of U.S. air strikes and night raids.

Karzai was speaking to local reporters invited to his home in the Afghan capital. He was critical of U.S. airstrikes and of Ghani’s decision early in his tenure to sign a forces protection agreement with the U.S., saying it gave Americans immunity from Afghan civilian deaths.

Karzai was a vocal critic of the so-called Bilateral Security Agreement during his time in office, refusing to sign it.

The former president, whose press meeting was televised, opposed upcoming polls saying, “elections can only happen in an independent, peaceful country, not now.”

https://www.apnews.com/edbae499ae004534b50e887bb312e58f
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Back
Top Bottom