What's new

Beijing won’t retaliate strongly against the U.S. for delisting Chinese companies, analysts say

striver44

BANNED
Jul 25, 2016
4,832
-16
3,402
Country
Indonesia
Location
Indonesia
  • The New York Stock Exchange said Thursday that it will delist China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom, as soon as Jan. 7, or as late as Jan. 11.
  • The Hong Kong-listed stocks of all three companies declined sharply on Monday.
  • The NYSE’s move is in line with an executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump last November, that barred Americans from investing in companies it alleged were connected to the Chinese military.

  • .
A woman adjusts a Chinese flag near U.S. flags.

A woman adjusts a Chinese flag near U.S. flags.
Ng Han Guan | AFP | Getty Images
SINGAPORE — The decision by the New York Stock Exchange to delist three Chinese telecommunication giants has drawn ire from China — but analysts say Beijing is unlikely to take significant action to retaliate against Washington.
The stock exchange announced Thursday it will delist China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom. Trading is due to be suspended as soon as Jan. 7, or as late as Jan. 11.

The Hong Kong-listed stocks of all three companies fell on Monday, the first trading day of the Hang Seng since the announcement. China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom all fell more than 3% in Asia.
The move by the NYSE is in line with an executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump in November, that barred Americans from investing in companies allegedly connected to the Chinese military. That came as tensions between U.S. and China escalated further last year, with both sides squabbling over the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, among others.
Responding to the U.S. move, China’s commerce ministry said Saturday that it will “take necessary measures to resolutely safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese enterprises.”


We will need to see if the Chinese government will take retaliation against the U.S. But I think the actual things to be done will not be significant...


Asked if even more Chinese companies might be delisted, Brendan Ahern, chief investment officer of investment firm KraneShares, said: “I don’t see this being extended beyond these three specific names, simply because this was really driven by this executive order.”

Speaking to CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia” on Monday, he said the order could “reverse course” after President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in on Jan. 20.




He added that on the Chinese side, Beijing will “want to give the Biden administration an opportunity to really start the relationship anew.”

Ronald Wan, a non-executive chairman at Partners Financial Holdings, added that any actions taken by Beijing likely won’t be “significant.”

“We will need to see if the Chinese government will take retaliation against the U.S. But I think the actual things to be done will not be significant, maybe restricting some sort of U.S. government-related entities, activities in China or in Hong Kong. But actually, I think the government still welcomes U.S. capital and funds to go into Asia and Hong Kong markets,” he told CNBC’s “Street Signs Asia” on Monday.

Ahern said investors of the three U.S. listed stocks — China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom —will be able to convert them to their Hong Kong-listed shares.

 
Of cos, China would not retaliate. Becos delisting Chinese companies only hurt US stock market and not Chinese companies.

China has record inflow investment registered last year while US for dirt number , all thanks to US political targeting policy that discourage investment in US. :enjoy:
 
It seems that the author doesnt know that due to valuation advantage, nowadays only companies cannot be listed on China stock market will try their luck in the wild west US.

Thats why many of the US listed Chinese company want to privation and quit US and be list on China instead, like 360 etc.
 
  • The New York Stock Exchange said Thursday that it will delist China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom, as soon as Jan. 7, or as late as Jan. 11.
  • The Hong Kong-listed stocks of all three companies declined sharply on Monday.
  • The NYSE’s move is in line with an executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump last November, that barred Americans from investing in companies it alleged were connected to the Chinese military.

  • .
A woman adjusts a Chinese flag near U.S. flags.

A woman adjusts a Chinese flag near U.S. flags.
Ng Han Guan | AFP | Getty Images
SINGAPORE — The decision by the New York Stock Exchange to delist three Chinese telecommunication giants has drawn ire from China — but analysts say Beijing is unlikely to take significant action to retaliate against Washington.
The stock exchange announced Thursday it will delist China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom. Trading is due to be suspended as soon as Jan. 7, or as late as Jan. 11.

The Hong Kong-listed stocks of all three companies fell on Monday, the first trading day of the Hang Seng since the announcement. China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom all fell more than 3% in Asia.
The move by the NYSE is in line with an executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump in November, that barred Americans from investing in companies allegedly connected to the Chinese military. That came as tensions between U.S. and China escalated further last year, with both sides squabbling over the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, among others.
Responding to the U.S. move, China’s commerce ministry said Saturday that it will “take necessary measures to resolutely safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese enterprises.”


We will need to see if the Chinese government will take retaliation against the U.S. But I think the actual things to be done will not be significant...


Asked if even more Chinese companies might be delisted, Brendan Ahern, chief investment officer of investment firm KraneShares, said: “I don’t see this being extended beyond these three specific names, simply because this was really driven by this executive order.”

Speaking to CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia” on Monday, he said the order could “reverse course” after President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in on Jan. 20.

He added that on the Chinese side, Beijing will “want to give the Biden administration an opportunity to really start the relationship anew.”

Ronald Wan, a non-executive chairman at Partners Financial Holdings, added that any actions taken by Beijing likely won’t be “significant.”

“We will need to see if the Chinese government will take retaliation against the U.S. But I think the actual things to be done will not be significant, maybe restricting some sort of U.S. government-related entities, activities in China or in Hong Kong. But actually, I think the government still welcomes U.S. capital and funds to go into Asia and Hong Kong markets,” he told CNBC’s “Street Signs Asia” on Monday.

Ahern said investors of the three U.S. listed stocks — China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom —will be able to convert them to their Hong Kong-listed shares.

HAHA, IMPOTENT CORONAVIRUS SUPA POWA US not going to delist China Telcos.

NYSE Scraps Plan to Delist Shares of Chinese Telecom Giants

NYSE says it no longer intends to move forward with delisting three Chinese telcos
.
 
HAHA, IMPOTENT CORONAVIRUS SUPA POWA US not going to delist China Telcos.

NYSE Scraps Plan to Delist Shares of Chinese Telecom Giants

NYSE says it no longer intends to move forward with delisting three Chinese telcos
.

Then, what's gonna happen to the excited !ndian OP?
 
It's quite possible that striver44 has a concussion from the whiplash. Give him some time to recover guys.

He purposely get himself ban to avoid answer this U-turn cos China strong again will give him heart attack. :lol:
 
Does the man occupying fhe White House has the locus standi since he has already politically been ousted?
It is now a moral issue as well. He is acting childish and is totally shameless.
The new President can just overturned and declared all the exec. orders signed by the departing President during the last 100 days as invalid.
In fact they went against international trade rules. :coffee:
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)


Back
Top Bottom