What's new

444 structures demolished in three days

The local authorities razing down illegal structures devouring the Karnaphuli River on Monday in an eviction drive that has begun two years after High Court orders to demolish 2,500 illegal structures that are encroaching on the river called 'The Lifeline of Chattogram'. Photo: Suman Babu

Eviction-Illegal-Construction-Karnafuli-Chittagong-040219-5.jpg
Eviction-Illegal-Construction-Karnafuli-Chittagong-040219-23.jpg
Eviction-Illegal-Construction-Karnafuli-Chittagong-040219-19.jpg
Eviction-Illegal-Construction-Karnafuli-Chittagong-040219-16.jpg
Eviction-Illegal-Construction-Karnafuli-Chittagong-040219-10.jpg
 
illegal_buildings.jpg


bulldozer_0.jpg


Illegal buildings, warehouses, and shops on the Buriganga are razed to the ground by the BIWTA in Kamrangirchar's Ashrafabad area yesterday. The authorities conducted an eviction drive in the area to save the river from grabbers. Photo: Anisur Rahman
 
The eviction drive to clear the banks of Buriganga from encroachments has been resumed for the second day on Wednesday.

biwta-02.jpg
biwta-01.jpg
eviction-burigonga-kamrangichor-MZO-04022019-0012.jpg
eviction-burigonga-kamrangichor-MZO-04022019-0029.jpg
eviction-burigonga-kamrangichor-MZO-04022019-0014.jpg


The drive being conducted by the Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority or BIWTA resumed at Koylaghat and Islambagh of Kamrangirchar around 10:00 am Wednesday.

Md Abdus Samad, secretary at the Ministry of Shipping, was present at the location.

At least two one-storey buildings were bulldozed at the start of the day, said BIWTA , joint director AKM Arif Uddin. The drive will continue until 5:00pm, he said.

More than two hundred structures were demolished on the first day of the drive at Kamrangirchar’s Nababchar including five two-storey buildings, 28 single storey building, 22 rooms and 155 thatched structures, he said.

The eviction drive will continue until Feb 19 at the areas under the jurisdiction of Dhaka river port, said BIWTA spokesperson Md Mobarak Hossain.

Earlier, there had been 444 structures including multi-storey buildings evicted in a three-day drive that began on Jan 29, he said.

A number of 609 structures at the river bank have been identified as illegal and marked for demolition in areas stretching between Sadarghat and Gabtoli, said Arif Uddin.

“At least 56 among these structures are multi-storey building and prioritised to be removed. After this, the land next to the river will be conserved permanently.

“We’ll mark the border and construct walkway at the river bank and also plant trees so no one can encroach it again.”
 
I am glad this is being done. Illegal construction on govt. land will not be tolerated.

The local people are 100% behind this.

They will build a wide promenade next to the river and keep it free for good.

They need to get more 'long-reach' excavators like these (two more).
man i fear they'll make the embankments like hatirzheel and all of dhaka will swarm into this place in the holidays
 
These are powerful encroacher and connected to political musclemen. They have 2nd home in MY and Canada. You no need to worry about their night bed.
well i thought land grabbers take land and then resale it to next party which is innocent
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom